Latest update: 06/10/2011
- Bashar al-Assad - Brazil - China - diplomacy - human rights - India - Russia - South Africa - Syria - UN Security Council
Will pressure on Syria have to bypass the UN?
It may be short-sighted for the Assad regime to celebrate the veto of UN sanctions at the Security Council. Despite vested interests and ties to Damascus, François Picard’s panel predicts that Moscow won’t back Damascus forever.
- Samir AITA. Editor, Arabic edition of 'Le Monde Diplomatique';
- Suat KINIKLIOĞLU. Member of Central Executive Committee, AK Party - from Bucharest, Romania;
- Michael YOUNG, Opinion editor at the Daily Star Newspaper. Author of "The ghosts of Martyrs Square" - from Beirut;
- Bilal SAAB, Fellow at the Monterey Institute of International Studies - from Washington.