Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

The Sarkozy soap opera

Read more

DEBATE

What's the deal with Turkey?

Read more

LIFESTYLES

New road trip

Read more

LIFESTYLES

High-tech in France

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Global warming: A drowning planet

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Christian Kastrop, Director of Policy Studies, OECD

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy's political comeback: Did he ever leave?

Read more

ENCORE!

Weekly Music Show: Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's new album

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Revolt in New Caledonia and rebuilding homes in Libya

Read more

Americas

Detroit ‘underwear bomber’ pleads guilty

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-10-12

The Nigerian Islamist who tried to blow up an international flight with a bomb in his underwear on Christmas Day 2009 pleaded guilty to the charges against him Wednesday, saying he had hoped to avenge US killings of “innocent Muslims”.

REUTERS - The Nigerian man accused of trying to use a bomb in his underwear to blow up a U.S. airliner on Christmas Day 2009 pleaded guilty on Wednesday to all charges against him and warned the United States could face "a great calamity."

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 24, entered the guilty pleas a day after testimony began in his trial. Not-guilty pleas had previously been entered on behalf of Abdulmutallab, who was representing himself in the trial with help from an attorney.

Abdulmutallab pleaded guilty to eight felonies, including conspiracy to commit an act of terrorism, attempted murder and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. He faces life in prison.

Abdulmutallab told the judge he was fulfilling a "religious duty" and participating in an act of jihad against the United States. He said his planned attack was meant to avenge the deaths of "innocent Muslims" in Yemen, Afghanistan and elsewhere.

"The U.S. should be warned that if they continue to kill and support those who kill innocent Muslims, then the U.S. should await a great calamity ... or God will strike them directly," he said.

"If you laugh at us now, we will laugh at you later."

Al Qaeda's Yemen-based arm claimed responsibility for Abdulmutallab's plot, which also was praised by Osama bin Laden months before the al Qaeda leader was killed in a U.S. raid in Pakistan.

Abdulmutallab previously told U.S. investigators he had received the bomb, which failed to detonate fully, and training from al Qaeda militants in Yemen, U.S. officials have said.

After the attempted attack, the Obama administration moved to strengthen U.S. airline security by deploying full-body scanners to try to detect explosives that could be hidden in a passenger's clothing.

Abdulmutallab will be sentenced Jan. 12.

In his opening statement on Tuesday, U.S. Attorney Jonathan Tukel said Abdulmutallab had admitted to "each and every person he came into contact with" that he was trying to bring down Northwest Flight 253 as it approached Detroit from Amsterdam with 290 people aboard.

Tukel showed the jury a picture of the remains of the underwear he said contained the explosive device Abdulmutallab tried to detonate.

Michael Zantow, the only witness called Tuesday, said he was sitting a row behind Abdulmutallab when he allegedly tried to ignite the bomb. Zantow helped subdue Abdulmutallab and said that after his pants were stripped off, he saw that the man was wearing what looked like adult diapers.

"All I know is they were bulky and they were burning," Zantow testified.
 

Date created : 2011-10-12

  • USA

    Yemen bomb-maker linked to failed Detroit devices

    Read more

  • USA

    Qaeda group claims responsibility for failed attack on Detroit-bound plane

    Read more

  • USA

    Nigerian man charged with trying to blow up Detroit-bound airliner

    Read more

COMMENT(S)