Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Nigeria attack: Bomb blast in college in Kano

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'It's No Go' as Scotland rejects independence

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Scotland's relationship status: 'It's complicated'

Read more

DEBATE

Scotland Referendum: Will They Stay or Will They Go?

Read more

DEBATE

Hollande Press Conference: French President Tackles Record Unpopularity

Read more

FOCUS

Cleaning up Thailand's shady surrogacy industry

Read more

ENCORE!

The Biennale des Antiquaires: Where Miro meets million-dollar jewellery and antiques

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Attacks on migrants in Tangiers and unwelcome stares from men in Cairo

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola virus: US to send 3,000 troops to West Africa

Read more

Asia-pacific

NATO troops, Afghans killed in Kabul suicide attack

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-10-29

A Taliban suicide bomber targeted a NATO convoy in Kabul on Saturday, killing 13 foreign troops, three Afghan civilians and a policeman in the worst single Taliban ground attack of the 10-year-long Afghan war.

REUTERS - A suicide car bomber killed 13 foreign troops in the Afghan capital Kabul on Saturday, the deadliest single ground attack in 10 years of war in Afghanistan.

"We can confirm that 13 International Security Assistance Force members have died," said a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), giving no further details.

Earlier, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry said three civilians and a police officer had been killed in the attack.

Excluding helicopter crashes, it was the deadliest single incident for foreign troops since the war began in 2001.

Lethal attacks are relatively rare in heavily guarded Kabul, compared with the south and east of Afghanistan, but Saturday's killings came less than two months after insurgents launched a 20-hour assault on the U.S. embassy in Kabul.

The assault on the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) convoy took place in the Darulaman area in the west of the city, near the national museum.

The former royal palace, now in ruins, is also in the area, along with several government departments, and Afghan and foreign military bases.

The Taliban later claimed responsibility for the attack, saying they packed a four-wheel-drive vehicle with 700 kg of explosives.

Also on Saturday, three Australians and an Afghan linguist were killed in Uruzgan province in southern Afghanistan when an attacker wearing an Afghan National Army uniform opened fire on them, authorities in neighbouring Kandahar province said.

Violence across Afghanistan is at its worst since the start of the war 10 years ago, according to the United Nations, despite the presence of more than 130,000 foreign troops.

ISAF says there has recently been a fall in attacks by insurgents but this data excludes attacks that kill only civilians and attacks on Afghan security forces operating without international troops.

On Thursday, insurgents armed with rifles and rocket-propelled grenades attacked two bases used by foreign troops in southern Afghanistan. An Afghan interpreter working for ISAF was killed in that attack, which stretched into Friday before the last of the four insurgents were killed.

There has been a series of high-profile assassinations, as well as day-to-day attacks by Taliban raiders, over the past year.

More than a dozen people were killed in the September attack on the U.S. embassy and ISAF headquarters.
 

Date created : 2011-10-29

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Afghan interior minister escapes suicide bomb plot

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Suicide bombers target northern Afghan province

    Read more

COMMENT(S)