Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

On the frontline of horror: editing images from warzones

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: UN sets target of 60 days to turn things around

Read more

DEBATE

Europe's Desperate Seas: Migrant Deaths Crossing Mediterranean Top 3,000 in 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

'All is Well' for Lisa Simone

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

EU questions Apple's tax deals in Ireland

Read more

FOCUS

The Iraqi TV show where victims confront terrorists

Read more

REPORTERS

Video: Syrian student risks her life to film IS group stronghold

Read more

LIFESTYLES

Forgotten and fictional sports

Read more

DEBATE

Modi in America: India's Prime minister on triumphant US tour

Read more

France

Total subsidiary on trial again for 2001 chemical blast

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-11-04

A subsidiary of the Total oil giant went on trial again Thursday for possible negligence in a 2001 blast at the AZF chemical plant that left 31 people dead. A Toulouse court ruled in 2009 that there was not enough evidence to prove the charges.

AFP - A French court Thursday began hearing a new trial to decide if a subsidiary of oil giant Total and its former boss were negligent in a 2001 chemical plant blast that killed 31 people.

Prosecutors appealed after a court in the southwestern town of Toulouse ruled in 2009 there was not enough evidence to prove manslaughter charges against Total subsidiary Grande Paroisse and former plant chief Serge Biechlin.

The blast, which erupted in September 2001 in a storage warehouse packed with 300 tonnes of ammonium nitrate at the AZF chemical fertiliser plant near Toulouse, also injured 2,500 people and devastated 30,000 homes.

Hundreds of people packed a special courtroom set up for the new trial.

"I fully comprehend the importance and the solemnity of this exceptional trial, your emotion and your expectations. The court feels its immense responsibility," presiding judge Bernard Brunet said as the trial opened.

Prosecutors argued in the first trial that negligence of security measures had been behind the blast but the defence said the explosion had been a simple industrial accident.

The new case involves 2,700 plaintiffs, 60 lawyers and more than 200 witnesses, and is expected to last four months.

Since the blast, Grande Paroisse has paid out more than two billion euros ($2.7 billion) in compensation to more than 16,000 victims, according to Total's figures.

The blast came just days after the September 11 attacks in New York and initially sparked fears that it was a terrorist attack. That theory was later dismissed by investigators.

 

Date created : 2011-11-04

  • FRANCE

    Prosecutors to appeal chemical plant explosion acquittal

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Toulouse court clears Total of reponsibility in AZF factory explosion

    Read more

COMMENT(S)