Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South African President Zuma advised to pay $510,000 for home upgrades

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Post-Referendum Racism

Read more

THE DEBATE

Messy Divorce: EU, UK scramble after Brexit vote (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Messy Divorce: EU, UK scramble after Brexit vote (part 2)

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Introducing "Observers take action"!

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

UK votes to leave the EU: What now?

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: Metronomy, Celine Dion, Snoop Dogg and Jazz

Read more

FOCUS

Drug dealers of hope: Activists fight for access to life-saving Hepatitis C cure

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Panama Papers scandal: 'This is a real crime'

Read more

Asia-pacific

Deadly suicide attack targets worshippers after Eid prayers

Latest update : 2011-11-06

A suicide bomber detonated explosives near a mosque in the northern Afghan province of Baghlan on Sunday, killing at least seven civilians, the interior ministry said, adding that preliminary investigation has blamed Taliban.

REUTERS - At least seven civilians were killed and 15 others wounded when a suicide bomber detonated explosives near a mosque in Baghlan province in northern Afghanistan on Sunday, the interior ministry said.

The bomber attacked soon after prayers for the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha, ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said.

“We strongly condemn this. This is yet another act of violence against civilians, on this important day,” he said.

Preliminary investigations indicated the attack was the work of the Taliban, he said.

Violence in the once-peaceful northern provinces has increased, with a series of high-profile attacks in the past year as insurgents seek to demonstrate their reach beyond the southern heartland.

Attacks have included the killing of seven U.N. workers in Mazar-i-Sharif in April, and the assassination of the police chief for the north of the country earlier this year.

Despite the presence of more than 130,000 foreign soldiers across Afghanistan violence is at its worst since the start of the U.S.-led military campaign in 2001, according to the United Nations.

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) says there has recently been a fall in the number of attacks by insurgents, but that data excludes attacks that kill only civilians, and attacks on Afghan security forces operating without international troops.

 

Date created : 2011-11-06

  • DIPLOMACY

    Turkey summit to map out Afghan future

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Afghan interior minister escapes suicide bomb plot

    Read more

  • DIPLOMACY

    Clinton demands Pakistani action on militant havens

    Read more

COMMENT(S)