Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Senegalese photographer's flashbacks to Africans throughout history

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande photographed with Julie Gayet on Elysée Palace balcony

Read more

REVISITED

Is Beirut still haunted by ghosts of the civil war?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Band Aid 30 - Hit or Miss? Bob Geldof in Hot Water over Ebola Single

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deal or No Deal with Iran? Home Stretch to Reach Historic Agreement

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Football scandals: The ugly side of the beautiful game

Read more

#THE 51%

Ending violence against women: The dangers of trial by Twitter

Read more

#TECH 24

Tech giants under scrutiny: The problem with Uber

Read more

FOCUS

Inside an Iranian nuclear research reactor

Read more

Asia-pacific

Deadly suicide attack targets worshippers after Eid prayers

Latest update : 2011-11-06

A suicide bomber detonated explosives near a mosque in the northern Afghan province of Baghlan on Sunday, killing at least seven civilians, the interior ministry said, adding that preliminary investigation has blamed Taliban.

REUTERS - At least seven civilians were killed and 15 others wounded when a suicide bomber detonated explosives near a mosque in Baghlan province in northern Afghanistan on Sunday, the interior ministry said.

The bomber attacked soon after prayers for the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha, ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said.

“We strongly condemn this. This is yet another act of violence against civilians, on this important day,” he said.

Preliminary investigations indicated the attack was the work of the Taliban, he said.

Violence in the once-peaceful northern provinces has increased, with a series of high-profile attacks in the past year as insurgents seek to demonstrate their reach beyond the southern heartland.

Attacks have included the killing of seven U.N. workers in Mazar-i-Sharif in April, and the assassination of the police chief for the north of the country earlier this year.

Despite the presence of more than 130,000 foreign soldiers across Afghanistan violence is at its worst since the start of the U.S.-led military campaign in 2001, according to the United Nations.

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) says there has recently been a fall in the number of attacks by insurgents, but that data excludes attacks that kill only civilians, and attacks on Afghan security forces operating without international troops.

 

Date created : 2011-11-06

  • DIPLOMACY

    Turkey summit to map out Afghan future

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Afghan interior minister escapes suicide bomb plot

    Read more

  • DIPLOMACY

    Clinton demands Pakistani action on militant havens

    Read more

COMMENT(S)