Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s revered anti-apartheid leader and the country’s first black president, has died at the age of 95, President Jacob Zuma has announced.
Latest update: 16/11/2011
- Arab League - Bashar al-Assad - King Abdullah II of Jordan - Popular revolt - Saudi Arabia - Syria
Pressure mounting on Syria: will Arab League ultimatum stop the bloodshed? (part 2)
The Arab League is suspending Syria over its violence against civilians. In eight months, over 3,500 people have died at the hands of security forces. The regime of Bashar al-Assad looks friendless, isolated and even desperate - its final attempts at getting that suspension overturned have been soundly rejected.
- Laurie DUNDON, Senior Fellow, Partnership for a Secure America;
- Ayham KAMEL, Middle East analyst, Eurasia Group;
- Majd AID, Syrian activist;
- Marietje SCHAAKE, MEP, Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe;
- Lucy FIELDER, France 24 correspondent in Beirut.