Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Uruguay: freed Guantanamo detainees try to adjust to normal life

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Turkey: Inside the Alevi community

Read more

FOCUS

China: A tense Christmas in Wenzhou

Read more

DEBATE

Pope's Scathing Tidings: Pontiff Blasts 'Illnesses' at Vatican's Heart (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Pope's Scathing Tidings: Pontiff Blasts 'Illnesses' at Vatican's Heart

Read more

WEB NEWS

Gaza children draw what their future will look like

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Catholic cardinals get coal for Christmas from Pope Francis

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

François Hollande's Christmas wish list

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Embedded with the Islamic State Group

Read more

Middle east

Death toll in blast at military base rises

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-11-17

The number of Revolutionary Guards killed in a munitions blast at a base outside Tehran last Saturday has risen to at least 36, according to Iranian media reports. That is more than twice the death toll of 17 reported on the day of the explosion.

AFP - The number of Revolutionary Guards killed in a munitions blast at a base outside Tehran last Saturday rose to at least 36, according to Iranian media tolls collated by AFP on Thursday.

The figure -- based on news reports giving the names of each of the men buried -- was more than double the toll of 17 dead given by a Revolutionary Guards spokesman on the day of the explosion.

The spokesman said at the time that 23 Revolutionary Guards were wounded, some of them critically.

The huge blast at the base in Bid Ganeh, near Tehran, notably killed General Hassan Moqaddam, a key figure in the Revolutionary Guards' ballistic missile programme.

Iranian military officials said repeatedly the explosion was an accident, implicitly rejecting speculation in Israeli and Western media that it might have been a covert military operation by Israel or the United States.

The chief of staff of Iran's armed forces, General Hassan Firouzabadi, said on Wednesday the base was being used in the production of "an experimental product" being developed to unleash "a strong fist in the face" of the United States and Israel.

He did not elaborate, but said development of the military product had been delayed by "two weeks" because of the blast.

The raised death toll was based on a compilation of reports of funerals in Iran's news agencies over the past few days, as well as newspapers published on Thursday. The articles identified those buried by name, for a total of 36 names.

Date created : 2011-11-17

  • IRAN

    Tehran military base hit by deadly blast

    Read more

COMMENT(S)