Don't miss




Burma should give access to investigators, says UN high commissioner for human rights

Read more


Rohingya crisis: Monks with an ultranationalist agenda

Read more


French Senate: retirement club for old politicians?

Read more


Mexico hit by another deadly earthquake

Read more


US Federal Reserve ends historic QE program

Read more


This week’s not-to-miss exhibitions

Read more


Rogues aplenty at UN General Assembly

Read more


Mexico City’s earthquake, Catalonia’s independence struggle and Senegal’s charcoal-making women

Read more


The French protest again and some Viking warriors were women

Read more


Gunman's island massacre was Plan B, says lawyer

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-11-29

Anders Behring Breivik, the man responsible for Norway's largest single killing spree, attacked students on July 22 only after a bomb planted at the prime minister's office failed to demolish the building, his lawyer said Friday.

AFP - Norwegian right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik went on his killing spree on Utoeya island on July 22 because a bomb he set off failed to demolish the prime minister's offices, his lawyer was quoted as saying Friday.

"It was clearly the result of the explosion that led to his decision to go to Utoeya," where hundreds of young people were gathered for a summer camp hosted by the ruling Labour Party's youth wing, defence attorney Geir Lippestad told the VG daily.

The paper, which claims to have laid its hands on transcripts of police interrogations of Behring Breivik, also reported that the confessed killer of 77 people had planned to execute one of the Labour Party's highest ranking leaders.

On July 22, Behring Breivik, who has claimed to have been on a crusade against multiculturalism and the "Muslim invasion" of Europe, first set off a car bomb outside the government buildings in Oslo that house the offices of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, killing eight people.

After that, he went to Utoeya, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) northwest of Oslo, where, disguised as a police officer, he spent nearly an hour and a half methodically killing another 69 people, most of them teens.

According to VG, Behring Breivik only decided to carry out the island massacre when he heard on the radio that the 17-floor government tower had not collapsed in the blast.

Police on Friday said it was "unfortunate" that the information had leaked out, and they were investigating to find the source of the leaks.

Lippestad meanwhile could not be immediately reached for comment.

Both police and the lawyer have in the past indicated that Behring Breivik had several specific targets in mind before he carried out his twin attacks, but have never revealed which ones.

According to VG though, the right-wing extremist had hoped to kill Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere, who had visited Utoeya a day earlier, former prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, who was on the island just hours before the attacks, or the head of the Labour Party youth wing Eskil Pedersen.

His aim, according to the paper, was to grab one of these top politicians and execute him or her while giving a speech and filming his actions.

None of the three alleged targets, who are all members of the same party, were hurt in the attacks, since Stoere and Brundtland had left the island and Pedersen managed to escape the carnage on a small ferry to the mainland.

On Monday, the Oslo district court ruled that Behring Breivik could remain in custody for another 12 weeks.

A new custody extension hearing will be held on February 6, and his trial is set to begin on April 16.

Date created : 2011-11-18


    Breivik makes first court appearance in Oslo

    Read more


    Court extends detention of Norway shooter Breivik

    Read more


    Norwegian court extends isolation of detained gunman

    Read more