Latest update: 24/11/2011
- Barack Obama - debt - Democrats (USA) - Economic crisis - Republicans (USA) - taxes - US politics
US debt showdown: who's to blame for the deadlock? (part 2)
It's Thanksgiving in the United States, but millions of Americans will be hard pushed to find much to be grateful for this year - 9% of the population is out of work. Meanwhile in Washington, it's deadlock as usual. The so-called congressional "super-committee" has missed a deadline on an agreement to reduce the country's record national debt. This means across the board spending cuts will take effect.
- Ellen WASYLINA, Republicans Abroad;
- Zachary MILLER, Democrats Abroad;
- Amine OUZAD, Assistant Professor of Economics and Political Science, INSEAD;
- Daniel HAMILTON, Executive Director of the Center for Transatlantic Relations, SAIS.