Latest update: 30/12/2011
- Iran - Iraq - Iraq violence - Iraqi politics - Nuri al-Maliki - Saudi Arabia
Iraq faces sectarian crisis (part 2)
No sooner had the last American soldiers left Iraq than a major political crisis erupted, once again, along sectarian lines. Now the government coalition that took ten months to build is on the brink of collapse: the Sunni party is boycotting Parliament and a Shiite party loyal to Moqtada al-Sadr is calling for new elections. Can Iraq avoid breaking up?
- Fouad Al-OBAID. Columnist, Kuwait Times;
- James ANDRE. France 24 Journalist;
- Myriam BENRAAD. Reseach fellow on Middle-East, CERI - Sciences Po. From Marseille, France;
- Richard WEITZ. Senior Fellow and Director, Center for Political-Military Analysis, Hudson Institute. From Washington, US.