Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Frenchman kidnapped in Algeria: 'IS'-linked jihadists claim abduction of 55-year-old tourist

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

EU budget deficits: Time to be more flexible?

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Sir Graham Watson, President of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe

Read more

#TECH 24

Anonymous ‘declare cyber war’ on IS militants

Read more

WEB NEWS

Cambodian garment workers demand minimum wage

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'France in the crosshairs'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Climate change: The heat is on

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Air France pilots reject CEO's offer to halt expansion of low-cost carrier

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The Sarkozy soap opera

Read more

Africa

Head of DR Congo Senate attacked in Paris

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-01-02

DR Congo's Senate chief and former presidential candidate Leon Kengo (pictured) was attacked at a Paris train station on Saturday, allegedly by supporters of opposition leader Etienne Tshisekedi, the Congolese government has said.

AFP - The Congolese government Sunday condemned an attack on the country's Senate chief in Paris allegedly by supporters of President Joseph Kabila's rival and called in France's envoy to explain the incident.

France condemned the attack and said police were investigating.

The 76-year-old senator, Leon Kengo, was attacked at the Gare du Nord train station on Saturday "by bands of those who call themselves 'fighters' close to Etienne Tshisekedi", Communications Minister Lambert Mende told AFP.

Tshisekedi is a veteran opposition leader in the Democratic Republic of Congo and runner-up in the November 28 election but he has refused to recognise Kabila's victory and has proclaimed himself the country's leader.

According to initial reports, Kengo "had some teeth knocked out, was trampled underfoot, and rolled on the ground", Mende said, adding that the lawmaker had been hospitalised in north Paris.

He had got off a train from Brussels and was getting into a waiting car when he was brutally attacked, a source close to the investigation said.

"We protest in the strongest terms this attack perpetrated in France against Congolese officials in the view and knowledge of French authorities," said Mende, calling it "totally unacceptable".

He claimed that Kengo, who came in fourth in the presidential poll with 4.95 percent of the vote, was attacked because Tshisekedi supporters were angry that he had not withdrawn his candidacy, which may have prevented their leader from being elected.

The Congolese foreign minister called in the French ambassador "because this incident is very serious and worrying to the Congolese government", Mende said.

"We regret this attack," French foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero told AFP.

"Security forces naturally came to his assistance as quickly as possible and French authorities ensured that he was admitted without delay to a Parisian hospital to be treated," Valero said.

"An investigation is underway," he added.

Kengo was one of the presidential candidates who had called for annulling the vote over fraud allegations. Several foreign countries and election observer missions also complained of irregularities in the vote.

Still Kengo was present at the swearing-in of Kabila to a second five-year term on December 20.

The French ambassador to Kinshasa, Luc Hallade, told AFP he denounced these "rogue methods", adding: "this is not how can advance democracy in Congo or anywhere else".

Date created : 2012-01-01

  • DR CONGO

    Presidential runner-up stages rival inauguration

    Read more

  • DR CONGO

    Kabila winner of presidential vote, Supreme Court says

    Read more

COMMENT(S)