Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande depicted as Hitler

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Boko Haram crisis: Militants forced from north eastern Nigerian town

Read more

REPORTERS

Syria: Wresting control of Kobani from IS group

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

A who's who of the 'Bettencourt trial'

Read more

FOCUS

Golan Heights on edge...

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Eugene Kaspersky: Cyber attacks on critical infrastructure 'just a question of time'

Read more

#THE 51%

Equality in the workplace: Bridging the gender pay gap

Read more

ENCORE!

The culture stars trying to save the world

Read more

#TECH 24

Technology helping visually impaired people

Read more

Africa

50,000 flee South Sudan tribal violence, says UN

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-01-02

The UN humanitarian co-ordinator for South Sudan told Reuters on Monday that between 20,000 and 50,000 people have fled the newly-formed nation to escape the ongoing tribal warfare. South Sudan became independent in July 2011.

REUTERS - Up to 50,000 people have fled tribal violence in a remote border area of South Sudan, the United Nations said on Monday, in the latest episode of upheaval to hit the new African nation.

South Sudan became independent in July last year under a 2005 peace deal with Khartoum to end decades of civil war. But the new nation is struggling to build state institutions and stop rebel and tribal bloodshed that has killed thousands.

On Monday, some 6,000 armed members of the Lou Nuer tribe attacked the remote town of Pibor in Jonglei state bordering north Sudan after days of clashes with the rival Murle tribe, U.N. sources said.

Lise Grande, U.N. humanitarian coordinator for South Sudan, said tens of thousand of civilians had fled Pibor and other nearby towns to escape the violence.

“We are worried about their conditions. They are without water, shelter and food. They are hiding in the bush. I think it is between 20,000 and 50,000. This is an estimate only,” she told Reuters. She had no information about casualties.

South Sudan’s armed forces are sending reinforcements to Pibor, army spokesman Philip Arguer said. “They attacked the town this morning. Civilians were evacuated from Pibor three days ago,” he said, without giving further details.

U.N. sources said around 3,000 soldiers and 800 policeman were on their way to Pibor. Cattle raids, they said, had sparked the latest violence.

Date created : 2012-01-02

  • SYRIA

    Sudanese general’s past casts shadow on Arab League mission

    Read more

  • Sudan

    ICC mulls warrant request for Sudanese minister

    Read more

COMMENT(S)