Latest update: 11/01/2012
- Arab League - Arab world - Bashar al-Assad - Europe - Syria - Turkey
How far will Assad go? (part 2)
Ten months after the start of the Syrian uprising, we analyse the words of its embattled president: his denial, his threats and his defiance. Melissa Bell's panel discusses what the one-and-a-half hour speech tells us about the strength of the regime of Bashar al al-Assad, besieged as it is by sanctions and under continued pressure from within.
- Monzer MAKHOUS. Member of the Syrian National Council;
- Jonathan PARIS. Middle East Analyst; Senior Fellow, South Asia Center - Atlantic Council;
- Andrew TABLER. Next Generation Fellow, Washington Institute for Near East policy (from Washington);
- Marietje SCHAAKE. MEP, Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe; ALDE Spokesperson for Syria (from Brussels).