Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Virunga Park chief shot

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Algerian election: Bouteflika votes in wheelchair

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Algeria's media: a mixture of censorship and free speech

Read more

DEBATE

Algeria: What's the Choice? Incumbent Bouteflika Votes in Wheelchair

Read more

WEB NEWS

Nigerian web users call for end to violence

Read more

FOCUS

Bitcoin in the US: A monetary revolution?

Read more

ENCORE!

Fast cars and slow trains

Read more

WEB NEWS

Chile: online mobilization to help Valparaiso fire victims

Read more

FACE-OFF

François Hollande: France's most unpopular president

Read more

  • Nobel-winning Colombian writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87

    Read more

  • Russia and West agree on steps to ease Ukraine crisis

    Read more

  • Low turnout in Algerian election tipped to return Bouteflika

    Read more

  • With a strong French presence, veterans and fresh faces, Cannes aims to please

    Read more

  • Chelsea Clinton says she is pregnant

    Read more

  • French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali by Islamists

    Read more

  • In pictures: Iranian woman pardons son’s killer at the gallows

    Read more

  • After cup defeat, Spanish pundits read last rites for Barcelona

    Read more

  • Frantic search for survivors of sunken South Korea ferry

    Read more

  • India heads to polls in single largest day of voting

    Read more

  • Ukraine talks open in Geneva as Putin talks tough on TV

    Read more

  • Pro-Russian separatists killed in attack on Black Sea base

    Read more

  • Man executed in Texas for 2002 triple murder

    Read more

  • Scandal-hit French doctor Jacques Servier dies at 92

    Read more

  • Belgian head of wildlife reserve shot in DR Congo

    Read more

  • Crunch talks on Ukraine begin in Geneva

    Read more

  • Stagehand of God? Maradona's legendary goal inspires a play

    Read more

  • US rolls out red carpet for French critic of capitalism

    Read more

  • N. Korea not amused by London hair salon's Kim Jong-un ad

    Read more

  • Real Madrid beat old foes Barcelona to lift Copa del Rey

    Read more

  • France's new PM targets welfare in drive to cut spending

    Read more

  • Campaigning against Bouteflika's re-election... in France

    Read more

  • Brazil club Mineiro cancel Anelka signing after no-show

    Read more

  • Syria 'torture' photos silence UN Security Council members

    Read more

  • Paris laboratory loses deadly SARS virus samples

    Read more

Europe

Concordia cruise ship rescue operation resumes

©

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-01-19

Rescue operations on the Costa Concordia resumed Thursday after a suspension due to fears the listing ship could endanger rescue crews. On Thursday rescuers recovered the dead bodies of two missing French passengers.

AFP - Divers resumed the search Thursday for 21 people still missing after a cruise ship capsized off the Tuscan coast, but rough seas forecast for later in the day added an element of uncertainty to the operation and plans to begin pumping fuel from the stranded vessel.

The $450 million Costa Concordia was carrying more than 4,200 passengers and crew when it slammed into a reef and capsized Friday after the captain made an unauthorized diversion from his programmed route and strayed into the perilous waters.

Eleven people have been confirmed dead, their bodies removed from the ship and frigid waters.

Divers were focusing on an evacuation route on the fourth level, now about 18 meters (60 feet) below the surface, where five bodies were found earlier this week, Navy spokesman Alessandro Busonero told Sky TG 24.

Officials restarted the search after determining the ship had stabilized after shifting on the rocks 24 hours earlier.

The ship’s sudden movement also postponed the start of the weekslong operation to extract the half-million gallons of fuel on board the vessel, as Italy’s environment minister warned Parliament of the ecological implications if the ship sinks.

“Today is an important day, the weather forecasts are negative, rough sea, we’ll have to see how the ship reacts to that,” firefighter spokesman Luca Cari said Thursday.

Captain 'jumps ship' before passengers

The captain of the Costa Concordia left the stricken cruise liner "well before" the last passengers were evacuated, the prosecutor in charge of investigating the disaster said Sunday.

             
Asked on the news channel SkyTG24 whether captain Francesco Schettino, arrested Saturday for multiple homicide, had left the liner "well before all the passengers were evacuated," prosecutor Francesco Verusio replied: "Unfortunately I can confirm that."
             
The prosecutor also indicated that the ship "was not on the right course", adding that the captain was on the bridge and "therefore responsible for operations."
             
He said the possible responsibility of other persons apart from the captain and his number two, Ciro Ambrosio, was also being investigated.
             
Asked whether the crew were not properly prepared, Verusio said "It was rather the system of command which did not function as it should have done."
             
Italian media reports have said the captain was on shore around 11.40 pm (2240 GMT) Friday while the last passengers were not evacuated until 0500 GMT Saturday.
             
Ennio Aquilino, in charge of the rescue operation, told AFP Saturday: "The last person we took off the ship around 6 am (0500 GMT) had a broken leg."

Authorities on Wednesday identified the first victim: Sandor Feher, a 38-year-old Hungarian musician working aboard, who a fellow musician said helped crying children into lifejackets, then disappeared while trying to retrieve his beloved violin from his cabin. His body was found inside the wreck and identified by his mother who traveled to Italy, according to the Hungarian Foreign Ministry.

Of the 11 dead and 21 missing, Italian officials have only released 27 names so far. They are two Americans, 12 Germans, six Italians, four French, and one person each from Hungary, India and Peru.

Among the missing are an Italian father and 5-year-old daughter. The girl’s mother issued a fresh appeal to speed the search and for passengers who saw the pair to come forward to help determine where they were last seen.

“Don’t stop, bring home my daughter. Get her out,” Susy Albertini, 28, said on Italian television Wednesday evening after meeting with government and port officials in Tuscany.

Albertini last saw her daughter, Dayana Arlotti, on Thursday when she dropped her off at nursery school in Rimini on Italy’s Adriadic coast, according to La Voce di Romagna newspaper. Her estranged husband picked up the girl afterward to prepare for the cruise.

William Arlotti, 36, had taken his daughter on on the cruise with his girlfriend, Michela Marconcelli, who survived. She reported seeing Dayana, who was wearing a lifejacket, slide into the water when the boat shifted, but said someone helped retrieve her, the newspaper reported.

Marconcelli said she was pushed forward onto the life raft, and lost track of her companion and his daughter.

Other missing include retirees Jerry and Barbara Heil of White Bear Lake, Minnesota. The couple were treating themselves after putting four children through college.

The Heil children said in a blog post Wednesday that their parents were not among the passengers whose bodies were recently recovered, and they were praying that weather conditions would improve so authorities could resume search operations.

Capt. Francesco Schettino, who was jailed after he left the ship before everyone was safely evacuated, was placed under house arrest Tuesday, facing possible charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning his ship.

The ship’s operator, Crociere Costa SpA, has accused Schettino of causing the wreck by making the unapproved detour, and the captain has acknowledged carrying out what he called a « tourist navigation » that brought the ship closer to Giglio. Costa has said such a navigational « fly by » was done last Aug. 9-10, after being approved by the company and Giglio port authorities.

However, Lloyd’s List Intelligence, a leading maritime publication, said Wednesday its tracking of the ship’s August route showed it actually took the Concordia slightly closer to Giglio than the course that caused Friday’s disaster.

“This is not a black-and-white case,” Richard Meade, editor of Lloyd’s List, said in a statement.

“Our data suggests that both routes took the vessel within 200 meters (yards) of the impact point and that the authorized route was actually closer to shore.”

New audio of Schettino’s communications with the coast guard during the crisis emerged Wednesday, with the captain claiming he ended up in a life raft after he tripped and fell into the water.

“I did not abandon a ship with 100 people on board, the ship suddenly listed and we were thrown into the water,” Schettino said, according to a transcript published Wednesday in the Corriere della Sera paper.

Initial audio of Schettino’s conversations made headlines on Tuesday, showing an increasingly exasperated coast guard officer ordering Schettino back on board to direct the evacuation, and the captain resisting, saying it was too dark and the ship was tipping.

The officer’s order, “Get back on board, (expletive!)” has entered the Italian lexicon, becoming a Twitter hashtag and adorning T-shirts.
 

Date created : 2012-01-18

  • ITALY

    Concordia captain ignored order to oversee rescue

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Cruise ship operator blames captain for fatal accident

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Cruise ship fuel poses 'environmental risk'

    Read more

Comments

COMMENT(S)