Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns of further sanctions against Russia

    Read more

  • EU leaders meet in Brussels to seek a response to Russia

    Read more

  • IMF stands behind Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • Experimental Ebola drug ‘ZMapp’ heals all monkeys in study

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • Suriname leader’s son pleads guilty to courting Hezbollah

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Chelsea’s Torres set for AC Milan switch

    Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • West backs Ukrainian claims of Russian incursion

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' against IS militants in Syria

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass 3 million, UN says

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

Africa

Red Cross says 121 killed in Nigerian violence

Latest update : 2012-01-21

Coordinated bomb attacks and gun battles have left at least 121 people dead in Nigeria's second city of Kano, a Red Cross source said Saturday. Islamist group Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for the violence.

AFP - Coordinated bomb attacks targeting security forces and gun battles have killed at least 121 people in Nigeria's second-largest city of Kano, with bodies littering the streets on Saturday.

A curfew was imposed on Kano in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north after it exploded into violence on Friday evening, with eight police and immigration offices or residences targeted.

The main newspaper in the north said that a purported spokesman for Islamist group Boko Haram had claimed responsibility for the violence, saying it was in response to authorities' refusal to release their members from custody.

Scores of such attacks in Nigeria's north have been blamed on Boko Haram.

Some 20 huge blasts could be heard in the city as a suicide bomber attacked a regional police office and a car bomb rocked the outside of state police headquarters after the attacker fled and was shot dead, police sources said.

A number of other police posts were targeted, including a secret police building, as well as immigration offices.

Gunshots rang out in several areas, and a local television journalist was among those shot dead as he covered the unrest.

"Many agencies are involved in the evacuation of corpses from the streets," a Red Cross source said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak publicly. "From our tally, we have 121 so far."

An AFP correspondent counted at least 80 bodies in the morgue at Kano's main hospital, many of them with gunshot wounds. Around 100 people waited outside the morgue to collect their relatives' remains.

Residents also reported bodies in the streets, as officials from the Red Cross and the National Emergency Management Agency were working to collect corpses and deliver them to morgues.

"I am now walking along the street of my neighbourhood," Naziru Muhammad, who lives near state police headquarters, said Saturday morning.

"Between my house and the police headquarters along this street, I have counted 16 dead bodies that litter the streets, six of them policemen."

A police source on condition of anonymity said dozens were killed.

"There are heavy casualties around the police headquarters," the police source said. "A lot of civilians have been shot by the attackers. It's difficult to give a death toll, but the number of the dead runs into dozens."

Details began to emerge of the attacks, which were said to include at least two suicide bombers.

At state police headquarters, a would-be suicide bomber sought to join the convoy of the police commissioner, the police source said, but jumped out of the car and sought to escape when officers opened fire. He was shot dead, the source said.

According to a resident, the car rolled over and a huge explosion followed after the would-be bomber tried to flee.

"It was a suicide attempt," the police source said.

"The attacker tried to beat the checkpoint near the police headquarters, but the police opened fire. He jumped out of the car and tried to escape, but he was pursued and gunned down by the policemen."

The shocking attacks in Kano, which had escaped the worst of the violence blamed on Boko Haram in recent months, left residents fleeing neighbourhoods and fearing what would come next.

President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency on December 31 in parts of four states hard hit by attacks blamed on Boko Haram.

Kano was not included. Most of the recent major attacks have taken place in the country's northeast.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation and largest oil producer, is roughly divided between a mainly Muslim north and predominantly Christian south.

The state of emergency has not stopped attacks, and the areas targeted have spread beyond the locations covered by the decree.

The limitations of the Nigerian authorities were recently highlighted when the alleged mastermind of a Christmas Day attack outside a church that killed 44 people escaped police custody in suspicious circumstances.

Attacks specifically targeting Christians have also given rise to fears of a wider religious conflict in the country, with Christian leaders warning they would defend themselves. Some have even evoked the possibility of civil war.

However, attacks blamed on Boko Haram have included a wide range of targets, including Muslims.

The group also claimed responsibility for the August suicide bombing of UN headquarters in the capital Abuja that killed 25 people.
 

Date created : 2012-01-21

  • NIGERIA

    Multiple bomb blasts hit northern Nigerian city

    Read more

  • NIGERIA

    The Boko Haram terror chief who came back from the dead

    Read more

  • NIGERIA

    Boko Haram: Rocking the Nigerian boat

    Read more

COMMENT(S)