Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Cécile Duflot ruffles some feathers

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Media accused of pro-protester bias in Ferguson

Read more

DEBATE

The Murderous Lure of Jihad: Tackling ISIS and its Worldwide Recruitment (part 2)

Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Fed chair calls for 'pragmatic' US approach to inflation

    Read more

  • Gunmen kill scores in Iraqi Sunni mosque attack

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu set to be Erdogan's new PM

    Read more

  • Hollande is ‘nobody’s president’ says former French minister

    Read more

  • Two US Ebola patients leave hospital ‘virus-free’

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Africa

Top Kenyans face ICC trial over post-election violence

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-01-23

The International Criminal Court on Monday confirmed that four Kenyan officials, including two leading presidential candidates, will be tried for their roles in the bloody aftermath of the 2007 election.

AFP - Kenya's deputy prime minister and another presidential hopeful are among four suspects who should be tried over deadly post-poll unrest four years ago, the International Criminal Court ruled Monday.

Kenya's President Mwai Kibaki appealed for calm in the east African country amid fears the Hague-based court's anxiously awaited confirmation of charges hearing could revive ethnic and political tensions.

The ICC said charges of crimes against humanity had been confirmed against William Ruto and Uhuru Kenyatta, the son of the country's founding president, dropping a bombshell in Kenya's presidential campaign.

Finance Minister Kenyatta pledged to cooperate with the ICC but stressed his innocence in the violence that erupted following a disputed 2007 presidential vote, while Ruto dismissed charges against him as "strange."

More than 1,100 people died in the violence, shattering Kenya's image as a beacon of regional stability.

"The chamber found that there are substantial grounds to believe Mr Ruto is responsible as an indirect co-perpetrator of the crimes," ICC presiding judge Ekaterina Trendafilova said before a public hearing.

"In regards to Mister... Kenyatta, the chamber was satisfied that the evidence established that there are substantial grounds to believe that (he is) criminally responsible of the alleged crimes, as an indirect co-perpetrator."

Two other Kenyans, radio host Joshua arap Sang, 36, and Francis Muthaura, 65, the head of Kenya's civil service, will also face trial.

Charges were dropped against former industrialisation minister Henry Kosgey and former police chief Mohammed Hussein Ali, the court said.

Nairobi had sought to pre-empt the impact of the ICC's decision saying that appeals were possible, while Kibaki asked for calm.

"I appeal to everyone to remain calm and peaceful. Our great nation has had its share of challenging times," Kibaki said Monday in a public statement.

The United States urged Kenya and its people to continue cooperatiing with the ICC.

"We believe accountability for the 2007-2008 post-election violence is critical to ensuring Kenya’s democracy, peace, and long-term stability," US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement.

ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo was allowed in March 2010 to investigate the six, three of them aligned with Kibaki's Party of National Unity and three who supported the opposition Orange Democratic Movement of Raila Odinga, now the prime minister in a coalition government.

Odinga, also a leading presidential hopeful, said he hoped that the "final outcome will deliver justice to both the Kenyan nationals before the ICC and the victims of post-election violence."

Observers had feared the ruling could trigger fresh violence, four years after election fraud allegations sparked Kenya's worst unrest since independence and revealed deep ethnic rifts.

However the ICC's decision predictably struck a perfect balance between the two rival camps. Ruto and Sang were opposition supporters in 2007, while Kenyatta and Muthaura were and still are Kibaki allies.

"I am innocent of all the accusations that have been leveled against me. I have cooperated with the ICC throughout the process and will continue to do," Kenyatta said.

Ruto maintained his innocence, adding that he would still run for the presidency. A fresh presidential election in the east African country is due by March 2013 at the latest.

Kenyan and international legal organisations welcomed the ruling on the four men, but rights groups urged Nairobi to investigate other perpetrators as well.

"Thousands of human rights abuses, some of which may amount to crimes against humanity, took place during the post-election period and thousands of victims are still waiting for justice," Amnesty International in a statement.

Kenyatta, also a deputy prime minister, and Muthaura, often described as Kibaki's right-hand man, face five counts including orchestrating murder, rape, forcible transfer and persecution in the polls' aftermath.

Kenyatta, 50, has been accused of ties with the shadowy criminal gang called the Mungiki -- a sect-like body known for skinning and beheading its victims -- which he allegedly directed to attack opposition supporters.

Ruto, 45, and radio boss Sang, face three counts of murder, forcible transfer and persecution.

They are accused of "carefully orchestrating" attacks against ruling PNU supporters after Odinga charged Kibaki was rigging his way to reelection.

Sang also rejected the charges, while Muthaura's lawyer Karim Khan said his client was innocent and would be appealing.

What began as political riots after the December 2007 vote soon turned into ethnic killings targeting Kenyatta's Kikuyu tribe.

This launched reprisal attacks in which homes were torched and people hacked to death in the worst outbreak of violence since Kenya acquired independence from Britain in 1963.
 

Date created : 2012-01-23

  • KENYA

    Kenyan court delays elections until March 2013

    Read more

  • KENYA

    Kenya issues arrest warrant for Sudan's Bashir

    Read more

  • SOMALIA

    Kenyan jets pound al Shabaab targets in south Somalia

    Read more

COMMENT(S)