Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

REVISITED

In Prijedor, survivors fight to keep memory alive

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

¡Gracias, Gabo!

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

The Socialist rebellion grows

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Algerian election: Bouteflika votes in wheelchair

Read more

REPORTERS

Indian election: Votes for sale

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Can Weibo win over US investors?

Read more

DEBATE

Algeria: What's the Choice? Incumbent Bouteflika Votes in Wheelchair (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Algeria: What's the Choice? Incumbent Bouteflika Votes in Wheelchair

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Virunga Park chief shot

Read more

  • Captain not at helm when ship listed, South Korean officials say

    Read more

  • Top Hollande adviser resigns over conflict of interest accusation

    Read more

  • Abel Ferrara’s hotly awaited DSK film to premiere on web

    Read more

  • In Prijedor, survivors fight to keep memory alive

    Read more

  • Indian election: Votes for sale

    Read more

  • Video: Tensions remain high in Mariupol despite Geneva deal

    Read more

  • Astronomers discover Earth-like planet that could support life

    Read more

  • West African Ebola outbreak caused by new strain of virus

    Read more

  • Nobel-winning Colombian writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87

    Read more

  • Deadly avalanche strikes Everest in worst-ever disaster

    Read more

  • With a strong French presence, veterans and fresh faces, Cannes aims to please

    Read more

  • Low turnout reported in Algeria as Bouteflika seeks fourth term

    Read more

  • Russia and West agree on steps to ease Ukraine crisis

    Read more

  • Mob launches deadly attack on UN shelter for S. Sudan civilians

    Read more

  • Eurostar train mishap causes 'severe' delays

    Read more

  • Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant

    Read more

  • French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali by Islamists

    Read more

  • In pictures: Iranian woman pardons son’s killer at the gallows

    Read more

  • After cup defeat, Spanish pundits read last rites for Barcelona

    Read more

  • India heads to polls in single largest day of voting

    Read more

  • Ukraine talks open in Geneva as Putin talks tough on TV

    Read more

  • Pro-Russian separatists killed in attack on Black Sea base

    Read more

  • Man executed in Texas for 2002 triple murder

    Read more

  • Scandal-hit French doctor Jacques Servier dies at 92

    Read more

  • Belgian head of wildlife reserve shot in DR Congo

    Read more

France

French court approves probe into deadly Afghan ambush

©

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-01-31

A French judge is to continue his probe into the deaths of 10 French soldiers in an ambush in Afghanistan in 2008, following an appeals court ruling Monday. The families of the victims claim the soldiers were ill-equipped at the time of the attack.

AFP - A judge will investigate the killing of 10 French soldiers in a 2008 ambush in Afghanistan after their families accused military commanders of negligence, a French appeals court ruled on Monday.

The court said investigating judge Frederic Digne could continue his probe, opened last year, after prosecutors had appealed against the investigation.

The families filed a civil complaint for "endangering lives" and "failing to prevent a crime" over the ambush, which saw 10 soldiers killed and 21 wounded after Taliban guerrillas ambushed a patrol in Uzbin, east of Kabul.

Media reports have quoted classified French and NATO documents that concluded the soldiers were poorly equipped and ill-organised. French authorities have denied this.

"This is a relief because, through the prosecutor's office, the state had been doing everything possible for this investigation not to be opened," said Gilbert Collard, a lawyer for the family of one of the dead soldiers.

"We had to fight, but we will finally know how these young soldiers were killed, how they were sacrificed."

Collard said he would call for a number of witnesses to be questioned and for a classified report into the ambush to be made public.

The ambush saw Taliban fighters attack a convoy of about 100 NATO soldiers, mainly French, on patrol in a mountain pass and pin them down with machine-gun, sniper and mortar fire.

NATO forces managed to regain control of the area after a nine-hour battle and the arrival of reinforcements.

Media have quoted both French and NATO reports saying the soldiers lacked ammunition and communication equipment. Reports have also cited a lack of air reconnaissance and surveillance.

In their complaint, the families claimed the soldiers suffered from "a clear lack of means" and that "some officers were not up to their mission".

"We have never said that a soldier does not face his possible death when he puts on a uniform," Collard said.

"But we have always said that no one has the right to send soldiers to their death without giving them the means to defend themselves, without giving them the means to escape from a trap created by negligence and by carelessness."

France's defence ministry has previously raised concerns that the judicial probe would open the door to legal action being taken in other cases of military losses.

Reacting to Monday's decision, Defence Minister Gerard Longuet said he would study the ruling but appeared to suggest that the conduct of military operations should not be subject to legal challenge.

"The army is subject to the law, so it is normal that it gives an account. However, it has always been recognised that the conduct of operations is a unique exercise," he said on France Inter radio.

At the time the ambush marked the deadliest attack on NATO forces in Afghanistan since the fall of the Taliban at the end of 2001.

The court's ruling came as France prepares to draw down its presence in Afghanistan and after recent deadly attacks on French troops, including the killing earlier this month of four French servicemen by a renegade Afghan soldier.

President Nicolas Sarkozy announced Friday that France would be withdrawing its 3,600-strong contingent from Afghanistan by the end of 2013, a year before the international deadline of 2014.

A total of 82 French troops have been killed in Afghanistan since the start of their deployment in 2001.

Date created : 2012-01-30

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Afghans criticise French plan for 2013 troop withdrawal

    Read more

  • FRANCE - AFGHANISTAN

    France to leave Afghanistan in 2013, Sarkozy says

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Sarkozy honours French troops shot in Afghanistan

    Read more

Comments

COMMENT(S)