Latest update: 01/02/2012
- Bashar al-Assad - demonstrations - Popular revolt - Russia - sanctions - Syria - UN Security Council - United Nations
Crisis in Syria: will a UN resolution stop Assad?
Western and Arab countries are ramping up the pressure to get a UN resolution passed against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Since the beginning of the uprising ten months ago, the UN has failed to reach common ground on a crisis that has killed more than 5,400 people. But nothing can happen at the UN Security Council if Russia doesn't budge, and Moscow is continuing to stand by Damascus. Is the UN powerless to change the course of events in Syria?
- Anton KOSLOV, Associate professor, American Graduate School of International Diplomacy;
- Jonathan PARIS, Senior Fellow, the Atlantic Council of the United States;
- Jeffrey LAURENTI, Senior fellow, The Century Foundation;
- Monzer MAKHOUS, Member of the Syrian National Council;
- Guillaume MEYER, France 24 Correspondent.