Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Erdogan to rid Turkish institutions of ‘separatist cancer’ after coup attempt

Read more

ENCORE!

The best of summer music festivals in France

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Going for gold: French athletes train for Rio Olympics

Read more

#TECH 24

Digital beauty

Read more

FOCUS

Women doctors in Pakistan challenge the status quo

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Trump hopes to reset America's trade relations

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Donald Trump's speech was just another scam'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Cazeneuve at the heart of Nice security controversy

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for Oscar Pistorius

Read more

Africa

Gunmen kidnap two Americans, one Egyptian in Sinai

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-02-03

A south Sinai security official said Friday that unidentified gunmen had intercepted a tourist minivan and kidnapped two female American tourists and their Egyptian tour guide at gunpoint near St. Catherine's Monastery.

AP - Gunmen intercepted a tourist minivan and snatched two female American tourists at gunpoint, along with their Egyptian tour guide Friday near St. Catherine’s Monastery in the Sinai, the region’s security chief said.

Maj. Gen. Mohammed Naguib, the head of south Sinai security, said the gunmen were driving a sedan and a pickup truck. Naguib said the abductors sped away into the mountains. A helicopter was leading a search and rescue mission, he said.

The bus was carrying three other people who were left behind, Naguib said.

Their nationalities were not immediately known.

The tourists were returning from the monastery to the Red Sea resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh, according to the state newspaper Al-Ahram.

Egypt has faced deteriorating security and a surge in crime since the popular uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak nearly a year ago. Protesters accuse the military council that has assumed power and the police force of negligence.

The unrest led to a sharp drop in the country’s vital tourism sector, with revenues plunging almost 30 percent last year.

Tourism Minister Mounir Abdel-Nour said last month that the number of tourists who came to Egypt in 2011 dropped to 9.8 million from 14.7 million the previous year. Revenues for the year clocked in at $8.8 billion compared to $12.5 billion in 2010.

Date created : 2012-02-03

  • EGYPT

    Clashes continue in Cairo over football deaths

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Football stadium violence sparks protests in Cairo

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Activists mark one year since army launched protest crackdown

    Read more

COMMENT(S)