The lower house of the French parliament, the National Assembly, has approved a law imposing a €1,500 fine on those caught paying for sexual services. The bill is expected to go before the upper house for consideration in early 2014.
Latest update: 09/02/2012
- French elections 2012 - French politics - Marine Le Pen - National Front party (France) - Nicolas Sarkozy - UMP
Sarkozy and the far-right (part 2)
The focus of the French election campaign suddenly shifts from the economy to racism and national identity. But was it a wise move on the part of the outgoing president to back his interior minister’s controversial remarks on the relative values of civilisations?
- Charles GIVADINOVITCH. UMP Progressive Youth Movement;
- Bruno GOLLNISCH. National Front party;
- Stephen CLARKE. Journalist and author;
- Gilles IVALDI. Researcher, CNRS (from Nice), www.500signatures.net blog
Produced by François Picard, Anelise Borges, Mary Colombel, Christopher Davis, Pauline Heilmann.