Zambia defeated favourite Ghana 1-0 in the African Nations Cup football semi-final on Wednesday. Emmanuel Mayuka, the only member of the Zambian squad to play for a European first division club, scored with a 78th-minute goal.
REUTERS - Emmanuel Mayuka came off the bench to send Zambia into the African Nations Cup final after his 78th-minute goal secured a shock 1-0 win over Ghana in their semi-final on Wednesday.
The game could have turned out very differently had Asamoah Gyan not missed an eighth-minute penalty for four-times champions and favourites Ghana.
Africa Cup of Nations 2012
- Heroes parade for Les Bleus
- Fans wait for French players at Hotel de Crillon
- World cup 2018: Croatians receive football players as heroes
- World Cup 2018: Triumphant team is received at Élysée Palace
- World Cup 2018: Croatian players are welcomed home as champions
- World Cup 2018: "I think it''s a new era for football"
- World Cup 2018: "I wil survive" becomes French football anthem once again
- French players greet fans at the Élysée Palace
- France victory parade: Paul Pogba takes the mic at the Élysée Palace
- France victory parade: "We are the champions" plays at Élysée Palace
- French players sing "I will survive", "Marseillaise" at steps of presidential palace
- "We should not overestimate the political gains of winning the world cup"
- France victory parade: French players arrive at Élysée Palace
- France victory parade: World Cup champions honoured in Paris
- France victory parade: air force flies over Champs-Élysées
- French National team arrives at the Champs-Élysées
- French players make their way through the Champs-Élysées
- Parisian metro stations renamed in honour of world cup victory
- "It''s irrelevant if a French player has black skin or is from arabic descent," say commentators
- "France has been one of the most performing European teams in last 20 years"
Ghana dominated the game but struggled to create chances in front of another empty stadium, a sad hallmark of the tournament in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon, on a wet and steamy evening in Bata.
Mayuka, the only member of the Zambian squad playing for a European first division club, scored out of the blue with a shot on the turn. Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng was sent off six minutes from time after a second yellow card.
Date created : 2012-02-08