Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

REPORTERS

Argentina: The Kirchner era

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Tunisia presidential elections: Final day of campaigning ahead of Sunday's vote

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Holiday season: celebrating a secular Christmas

Read more

#THE 51%

Are toys really us?

Read more

ENCORE!

Child brides, the people of Syria and New York’s homeless

Read more

FOCUS

Video: Pakistan in mourning after school massacre

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Kenya: Security law approved despite disruptions in Parliament

Read more

DEBATE

Wrecked Rouble: Putin Defiant as Currency Tumbles (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Wrecked Rouble: Putin Defiant as Currency Tumbles (part 1)

Read more

Asia-pacific

US troops wounded in Afghan grenade attack

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-02-26

Seven US soldiers were wounded in Afghanistan on Sunday when protesters hurled a grenade at their army base. The attack comes a day after two US advisers were killed inside the interior ministry in a sixth day of anti-American protests.

AFP - A protester was killed and seven US soldiers were wounded in a grenade attack on their base in a sixth day of anti-American protests Sunday, police said, as President Hamid Karzai called for calm.
 
The latest violence came as police hunted an intelligence official suspected of killing two US officers at the interior ministry on Saturday—which led to NATO pulling all its advisors out of government ministries.
 
“The demonstrators hurled a hand grenade at US special forces base in Imam Sahib town of Kunduz province. As a result seven US special forces were wounded,” Kunduz police spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hussaini told AFP.
 
A spokesman for US-led NATO forces in Afghanistan said: “According to initial reports, an explosion occurred outside of an ISAF installation in northern Afghanistan early this afternoon.”
             
He said officials of NATO’S International Security Assistance Force were “gathering details at this time”, adding that more information could be released later.
Britain follows Nato in withdrawing advisers

The British embassy in Kabul is temporarily withdrawing all civilian mentors and advisors from Afghan government institutions in the capital, the Foreign Office said Saturday.

The withdrawal comes after two US members of NATO forces in Kabul were shot dead in the interior ministry on Saturday, as anti-US protests raged for a fifth day over the burning of Korans at a US-run military base.

“As a temporary measure, the British embassy has withdrawn civilian mentors and advisors from institutions within Kabul,” a Foreign Office spokeswoman told AFP, adding that she was referring to Afghan government buildings. “We will keep the situation under review.”

She confirmed that the embassy in Kabul would remain open, but added: “The safety and security of our staff at the embassy is extremely serious and we keep the situation under constant review.”

The spokeswoman could not confirm how many staff were involved or when they were leaving but the measure was imposed as of Saturday. The Koran burning has inflamed anti-Western sentiment already smouldering over abuses by US-led foreign troops, such US Marines urinating on the corpses of dead Afghans, shown in a video released last month.

Britain has around 9,500 troops in Afghanistan, mainly based in the central belt of the southern Helmand Province, where they are battling Taliban insurgents and training up local forces. Britain intends to pull out all its combat troops by 2015.

AFP

 
 
Local officials said one person was killed in the anti-US demonstration in Imam Sahib as some 2,000 anti-US protesters tried to march on the provincial capital but were stopped by police.
 
“One dead and seven wounded protesters have been brought to hospital from Imam Sahib district so far,” said hospital official Mohammadullah.
 
In the neighbouring province of Samangan, two protesters were wounded during a one-hour demonstration in Aybak city, provincial governor Khairullah Anosh told AFP, but there were no reports of unrest elsehwere in Afghanistan.
 
The latest death brings the total toll in six days of demonstrations since the Koran burning at the Bagram airbase north of Kabul to more than 30.
 
President Karzai went on television Sunday to appeal for calm.
 
Karzai “condemned with the strongest words” the treatment of Islam’s holy book and said the perpetrators should be punished, but told his countrymen: “Now that we have shown our feelings it is time to be calm and peaceful.”
 
He said he respected the emotions of Afghans upset by the Koran burning, but urged them not to let “the enemies of Afghanistan misuse their feelings”.
 
Taliban insurgents have called on Afghans to kill foreign troops in revenge for the incident, and claimed to have been behind the shooting deaths of the two US advisors in the interior ministry in Kabul.
 
Government sources said police were hunting for an Afghan intelligence official suspected of the shooting.
 
NATO, which has a 130,000-strong US-led military force fighting the Taliban insurgency, has advisors throughout the Afghan government but commanding officer General John Allen ordered them all to be withdrawn.
 
“Despite being pulled from the ministries, the military advisers remained in contact with ministry personnel,” a spokesman for NATO’s International Security Assistance Force, Lt Col Jimmie Cummings, said Sunday.
 
“We will not let this incident divide the coalition,” he said on ISAF’s Twitter feed.
 
Analysts said, however, it had plunged relations between Afghans and their Western allies to an all time low.
 
“It has never been as bad as this and it could be a turning point” in the West’s 10-year mission in the war-torn country, said Martine van Bijlert of the Afghanistan Analysts’ Network.
 
The US rushed to condemn the Koran burning, with US President Barack Obama apologising to the Afghan people for what he said was a mistake and pledging that the perpetrators would be punished.
 
But furious Afghans took to the streets across the country and tried to attack French, Norwegian, UN and US bases, shouting “Death to America”.
 
Among the dead were two US troops killed when an Afghan soldier turned his weapon on them as protesters approached their base in eastern Afghanistan.
 
Cases of Afghan security forces turning on their Western allies have increased in recent years, with a leaked classified coalition report saying last month that they “reflect a rapidly growing systemic homicide threat”.
 
Four French soldiers were gunned down by an Afghan colleague last month, prompting President Nicolas Sarkozy to announce an accelerated withdrawal of combat troops in 2013.
 
The US has said it will end all combat operations in 2014.
 

 

Date created : 2012-02-26

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Two US soldiers killed inside government building

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Protests intensify over Koran burnings

    Read more

COMMENT(S)