Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

Paris's Louis Vuitton Foundation showcases contemporary African art

Read more

#THE 51%

Sparking an outrage: Saudi Arabia elected to UN commission on women's rights

Read more

THE CAMPAIGN BEAT

National Front's new leader steps down over Holocaust remark

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

How green is ecotourism?

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Trump says he won't scrap NAFTA right away, opens negotiations

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Barack Obama under fire over $400,000 speaking gig

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Teacher's pet vs party girl: Macron and Le Pen's younger years

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Hissene Habré trial: Senegal court upholds life sentence for Chad's ex-leader

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Trump's first 100 days, Simpsons style

Read more

Americas

US, foreign NGO workers flown out of Egypt

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-03-01

Seven Americans and eight other foreign democracy workers facing trial in Egypt on charges of fomenting unrest were flown out of the country Thursday, after the US posted nearly $5 million in bail on their behalf.

AFP - American and other foreign democracy activists on trial in Egypt flew out of Cairo airport on Thursday, airport officials said, a day after the judiciary lifted a travel ban on them.

Their departure is expected to ease tensions with Washington, which had urged Egypt's military rulers to resolve the case which American officials had suggested could imperil US aid to its key Middle Eastern ally.

The official MENA news agency reported that 15 foreigners left, including eight Americans, heading for Larnaca airport in Cyprus on board a private aircraft, and published a list of the names and nationalities of the passengers.

Airport officials said 17 foreigners including nine Americans who had been on the no-fly list left on a private plane which had flown in from Cyprus.

Along with the Americans, the foreign defendants on trial on charges of receiving illicit foreign funds are Norwegian, Serbian, German, Palestinian and Jordanian.

The only defendants who appeared at the trial's opening session on Sunday, days before the judges recused themselves without providing an explanation, were all Egyptians.

Earlier on Thursday, the head of the Cairo appeals court, Abdel Moez Ibrahim, confirmed that the travel ban had been removed and that each defendant had paid two million pounds (roughly $330,000/247,000 euros) in bail.

The Americans include Sam LaHood, the son of US transportation secretary Ray LaHood and head of the International Republican Institute (IRI) in Egypt. He and several other US citizens had taken refuge inside their Cairo embassy.

The other foreign groups involved in the trial are the National Democratic Institute, Freedom House, the International Centre for Journalists -- all American -- and the German Konrad Adenauer Foundation.

The trial, which came after raids on the groups' offices in December, led to a crisis in relations between Egypt and Washington, a close ally of the strategic nation.

Egypt's military, in power since an uprising ousted president Hosni Mubarak a year ago, appeared to have underestimated the fallout from the crackdown on the civil society groups.

The raids came amid growing unrest against the generals, as the authorities suggested that the regime's opponents were being directed by foreigners, playing on abundant suspicion in the country of foreign plots, particularly US and Israeli.

Fayza Abul Naga, the international cooperation minister believed to have sparked the probe into the groups, told investigating judges that the NGOs were part of an American conspiracy to spread chaos in Egypt.

On Thursday, she insisted that the trial would go on once a new judicial panel has been appointed.
 

Date created : 2012-03-01

  • EGYPT

    Egyptian plans for NGO workers to face criminal trial angers US

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Egypt bans travel for Western NGO staff

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Egypt defends raids on NGO offices

    Read more

COMMENT(S)