Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Hissene Habré: Senegal court upholds life sentence for Chad ex-leader

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Trump's First 100 Days - Simpsons Style

Read more

THE DEBATE

The New Normal: Trump's first 100 days in office (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

The New Normal: Trump's first 100 days in office (part 2)

Read more

THE CAMPAIGN BEAT

High school students make their voice heard while Marine goes fishing

Read more

FOCUS

Burma's citizens still jailed for speaking their minds

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Colombia: FARC disarmament leads to baby boom

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

French presidential election: Comparing Macron and Le Pen's economic proposals

Read more

ENCORE!

Deep Purple: 'To plan a last gig, that's very frightening!'

Read more

France

France opens inquiry into attacks on journalists in Syria

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-03-03

France opened a preliminary inquiry on Friday into the suspected targeting of journalists in Syria, including the death of photographer Rémi Ochlik (left) in the February 22 Homs bombing that also wounded journalist Edith Bouvier (right).

AFP - Paris prosecutors on Friday opened a preliminary murder probe into an attack on a media centre in Syria's Homs in which a French photographer was killed and a French journalist wounded.

The February 22 rocket attack in Homs' Baba Amr district killed French photographer Remi Ochlik as well as veteran Sunday Times reporter Marie Colvin, and wounded Le Figaro reporter Edith Bouvier of France and British photographer Paul Conroy.

A judicial source said that one of the inquiry's first objectives would be to gather data that would allow the formal identification of Ochlik's body so that it could be returned to France.

El Mundo journalist Javier Espinosa reports on his experience in Homs

A plane transporting Bouvier and French photographer William Daniels was due in Paris later Friday after they were evacuated from protest-centre Homs where they had been trapped for days under regime bombardment.

Homs activists released two videos showing the burials of Ochlik and Colvin, an American, in a cemetery in Baba Amr.

Syrian authorities on Thursday exhumed them after taking control of the neighbourhood and transferred them to a Damascus hospital.

They are to be handed over to the Polish embassy, which represents the United States, France and Spain, in the presence of the International Red Cross, after Syria has carried out DNA tests on the remains.

Colvin's employer, Britain's Sunday Times, has said she and Ochlik were killed when a rocket hit the front of the building they were in, burying them both in debris.

Syrian authorities have been accused of deliberately targeting journalists during the almost year-long uprising against Bashar al-Assad's regime.
 

Date created : 2012-03-02

  • LEBANON

    French journalists arrive in Paris after escape from Homs

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Wounded journalists make video plea to leave Syria

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Journalists Marie Colvin and Remi Ochlik killed in Homs

    Read more

COMMENT(S)