Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Nigeria: Buhari announces list of cabinet nominees
- At least a dozen killed in weekend violence in Bujumbura
- North-eastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri attacked by child bombers
- South Africa: Anti-corruption protesters take to the streets
- Buhari calls on Nigerians to stop being 'unruly'
- Refugees struggle to survive in Central African Republic
- Coup leader in Burkina Faso apologises, says he will leave power
- Death toll climbs after multiple bomb blasts in Nigeria's Borno state
- Nigeria's Buhari seeks closer economic ties with France
- Can Buhari Fix Nigeria? Challenges of reforming Africa's giant (part 2)
- Can Buhari Fix Nigeria? Challenges of reforming Africa's giant (part 1)
- Nigeria ‘wants to negotiate’ for kidnapped girls release
- DR Congo: Clashes erupt at anti-Kabila rally in Kinshasa
- Nigeria's Buhari seeks economic and security partnerships with France
- Deadly suicide attacks rock northern Cameroon
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12