Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Tensions continue to rise in Bujumbura
- Burundi: Nkurunziza says conditions are right for elections
- Top Burundian judge flees country after government pressure
- Nigeria frees more hostages from Boko Haram
- French and African troops accused of child sex abuse
- Three Nigerians amongst drug convicts executed in Indonesia
- Hundreds of girls rescued from Boko Haram camps, Nigerian army says
- Thousands march against xenophobia in Johannesburg
- Akinwumi Adesina: 'Real challenge' for African economies is obtaining 'inclusive growth'
- Ethiopian rally against IS group killings turns violent
- Hundreds of Malawians arrive back in Blantyre after xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- Nigeria: One year on, 219 Chibok girls still missing
- #BringBackOurGirls: One Year Gone (part 2)
- #BringBackOurGirls: One Year Gone (part 1)
- Suspected Boko Haram militants 'behead' villagers in northeast Nigeria
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12