Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Liberia's presidential election: Results trickle in as observers give thumbs-up
- Liberia's presidential election: 20 candidates vying for top job
- Nigeria to start mass trial of Boko Haram suspects behind closed doors
- Cameroon accused of illegally deporting 100,000 Nigerian refugees
- Parents in Mali concerned about Turkish-owned schools
- Kenya's supreme court blames electoral board for botched election
- Curfew in southeast Nigeria after clashes between army, pro-Biafra supporters
- Cameroon builds anti-terror trench to keep out Boko Haram suicide bombers
- Shadow of Nigeria’s Biafra war still looms large, 50 years on
- Africa's resources: Re-examining the management of oil and gas
- Nigeria's Buhari slams divisions after a 3-month absence
- Hunger has forced many Nigerian refugees in northern Cameroon to return to dangerous Boko Haram territory.
- Nigeria’s ailing leader returns home after three months
- Pope demands priests' obedience over Ahiara bishop in Nigeria
- Nigeria: Over a dozen people killed in Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12