Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- South Sudan: President Salva Kiir names new vice president
- Nigerian girls can wear headscarves to school, court rules
- South Sudan: Many are too scared to go back home
- UN sounds alarm over humanitarian situation in Nigeria's Borno State
- Uganda: Opposition leader in court on treason charges
- Nigeria’s Chigozie Obioma: Literature’s rising star
- MSF: Scores of refugees fleeing Boko Haram in Nigeria starve to death
- 32 suspects on trial in Uganda over spate of Muslim cleric murders
- Soweto uprising 40th anniversary: Hundreds commemorate anti-apartheid struggle
- Nigeria's central bank floats embattled naira currency
- Burundi students suspended for defacing presidential photo
- Al Shabaab militants raid African Union base in Somalia
- Opposition protests in DR Congo: At least one person killed in Goma clashes
- Kenyan army says it has killed 21 al Shabaab fighters
- Activists voice doubts second Chibok girl has been rescued
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12