Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Several killed in suicide bombings at Nigeria refugee camp
- DR Congo violence: At least 12 killed in clashes between police and religious sect
- Nigerian lawmakers vote to reduce president's powers
- International Francophone Games kick off in Abidjan
- Cameroon army vessel capsizes at sea, dozens missing
- Medical charity MSF suspends operations in CAR town of Zemio
- Nigerian city of Maiduguri shaken by deadliest attack in months
- Trump-Russia controversy: Is VP Mike Pence ready to pounce?
- AU summit: Reform and Libyan chaos high on the agenda
- Nigerian FM praises US for its support against Boko Haram
- Four widows of Nigerian activists launch civil case against Shell
- Top South African court okays secret ballots in Zuma no-confidence vote
- Frustration mounts over state of economy in Nigeria
- UN says government-backed militia killed hundreds in DR Congo's Kasai region
- Nigeria marks three years since 276 girls kidnapped in Chibok
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12