Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Abubakar Shekau says he is still leading Boko Haram
- Court ruling expected on Gabon's contested election results
- Nigerian President Buhari seeks help from UN to negotiate release of Chibok girls
- Nigerian photographer captures Maiduguri life beyond Boko Haram
- Refugee return scheme from Kenya's Dadaab camp 'flouts international law'
- Boko Haram releases new video without embattled leader
- Boko Haram releases new video without embattled leader Shekau
- Gabon: Parliament set ablaze in post-electoral unrest
- Kenyan Government disbands National Olympic Committee over mismanagement
- Closing arguments presented in the ICC trial of the Malian Jihadist who destroyed shrines
- US Secretary of State John Kerry commits to ramping up military assistance to Nigeria
- Boko Haram commander denies IS group claims of ‘new leadership’
- Gigantic snails are a delicacy in Ivory Coast
- South Sudan: President Salva Kiir names new vice president
- Nigerian girls can wear headscarves to school, court rules
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12