Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Nigerian vigilantes say 63 kidnapped girls escaped
- AU approves draft decision to grant leaders immunity
- Anger over US Supreme Court decision on birth control
- ‘No limits’ for Les Bleus after France beat Nigeria
- Nigerian army makes arrests in schoolgirl abductions
- Super Eagles' World Cup hopes dashed
- France beat Nigeria 2-0 for a place in World Cup quarter-finals
- Suspected Islamists attack churches near Nigeria’s Chibok
- Ramadan preparations disrupted in Central African Republic
- Boko Haram on a rampage (part 2)
- Boko Haram on a rampage
- Blast strikes shopping centre in Nigerian capital Abuja
- Messi stars as Argentina beat Nigeria, 3-2, to top group
- South African miners end 5-month-long strike
- Libya: Security troubles deepen amidst political turmoil
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12