Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Deadly twin suicide blasts strike crowded Nigerian market
- Nigerian Muslim leader slams ‘cowardly’ army on Boko Haram
- Boko Haram kills dozens of Nigeria fish vendors
- Police fire tear gas at Nigerian lawmakers
- Eritrea's youth exodus: Renewed conscription drive sparks emigration
- Defending champions Nigeria fail to qualify for Africa Cup
- Nigerian army recaptures Chibok, hometown of abducted girls
- CAF spokesman Junior Binyam explains why Equatorial Guinea will host 2015 Africa Cup of Nations
- Boko Haram militants ‘seize’ kidnapped schoolgirls town
- Uzodinma Iweala, CEO of Ventures Africa, on the African billionaires' club
- Mary Ononokpono wins Golden Baobab prize for 'Talulah the Time Traveler'
- Ebola: Two deaths confirmed in Mali, two others suspected
- 'Gender oppression' in India
- Africa Cup of Nations: Morocco expelled from tournament, stripped of hosting rights
- 'Ebola racism reaches a new low'
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12