Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Ebola in Nigeria: First death outside of Lagos
- Hundreds of Nigerian soldiers flee Boko Haram into Cameroon
- Thousands flee Nigeria after Boko Haram seizes border town
- Prime suspect 'Jihadi John'
- Boko Haram: Nigeria faces flagging military morale
- Boko Haram militants kidnap scores in northern Nigeria
- Ivory Coast shuts down air travel to Ebola-hit nations
- Ebola crisis: Nigeria announces state of emergency
- Fourth female suicide bomber targets Nigerian city
- Dr Matshidiso Moeti, Former WHO Deputy Regional Director for Africa
- Boko Haram kidnap Cameroon minister's wife in deadly attack
- Search of Air Algerie crash site continues
- The World This Week - July 25th, 2014 (part 2)
- The World This Week - July 25th, 2014
- Super Eagles' World Cup hopes dashed
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12