Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Nigeria unrest: Boko Haram attacks kill dozens
- President Jonathan visits site of Boko Haram massacre
- 'How I escaped Boko Haram'
- Female suicide bombers: Boko Haram’s weapon of choice
- Suicide bombers kill dozens across northern Nigeria
- Bomb attack in Nigeria's Potiskum targets crowded bus station
- Nigerian forces ‘retake’ border town from Boko Haram
- Mali ceasefire: Government signs deal with six rebel groups
- Boko Haram Crisis: Chadian troops push deeper into Nigeria
- Video: Chadian army clashes with Boko Haram in Nigeria
- Boko Haram violence: Can Nigeria and regional forces defeat the jihadist group? (part 2)
- Boko Haram violence: Can Nigeria and regional forces defeat the jihadist group? (part 1)
- Some 300 Boko Haram fighters killed in counter-offensive, army says
- Video: On the front line with Chadian troops fighting Boko Haram in Niger
- Boko Haram leader vows to disrupt Nigeria elections
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12