Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint Nigerian city of Jos, hours after a suicide bomb attack on a Catholic Church in the same area killed 10 people. A government spokesman said they suspected the attackers were "herdsmen".
AFP - Gunmen shot dead three Christians near the flashpoint central city of Jos, hours after 10 people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Catholic church, the Plateau state government said Monday.
The gunmen struck late Sunday in a village south of the city, where Christian-Muslim tensions were running high after the church attack, government spokesman Pam Ayuba told AFP.
"Unknown gunmen, in an apparent ambush late Sunday, waylaid and shot dead three people and injured two others -- all Christians -- in Chugwi village," Ayuba said.
"We suspect that the attackers were herdsmen. They left with the handsets of those killed and called numbers on their phones to alert their relations that they were responsible for the killings," he said from the scene of the attack.
Crisis in Nigeria
- Boko Haram militants attack key northern Nigerian city
- DR Congo: Senate amends controversial constitutional law
- Video: Nigerian author's ‘Americanah’ comes to France
- Davos 2015: Doing business in an unstable climate
- Nigeria: Security adviser calls for election delay
- The explosion of #Jesuis campaigns
- Boko Haram ‘leader’ claims massacre in Baga
- Video: Chadian troops join battle against Boko Haram
- UN urges military action against Boko Haram
- Brazen Boko Haram: Nigeria's neighbours drawn into fight (part 2)
- Brazen Boko Haram: Nigeria's neighbours drawn into fight (part 1)
- 'My jihadist son returned mentally scarred - now he is being ignored'
- Video: hundreds rally in Paris against Boko Haram massacres
- Nigeria, the spillover: Chad sends troops to help Cameroon fight Boko Haram (part 2)
- Germany: 'Lights out, spot on'
Ayuba, who is a native of the Christian village, said no arrests have yet been made.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Roman Catholic church in Jos on Sunday, killing seven people and sparking panic in which security forces shot three others dead.
Date created : 2012-03-12