Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

The best winter exhibitions

Read more

#THE 51%

Shortage of male heirs leads many Japanese families to adopt adult men

Read more

FASHION

Death of an icon: Remembering fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Black Friday deals: Are they really worth it?

Read more

REPORTERS

Video: Is Trump slamming door on Muslims' American Dream?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Did Grace Mugabe's rise cause her husband’s downfall?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'When it comes to violence against women, the time to act is now'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Mnangagwa to be sworn in as Zimbabwe's president on Friday

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The refugees of Manus Island

Read more

Africa

Amnesty demands compensation for victims of NATO's Libya campaign

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-03-19

Amnesty International called Monday for an investigation into the killing of civilians by NATO air strikes against Muammar Gaddafi's forces in Libya last year, seeking "full reparation" for the victims and their families.

AFP - NATO must investigate the killing of dozens of civilians during its air campaign in Libya last year and provide reparations to the people affected, Amnesty International said on Monday.

"Adequate investigations must be carried out and full reparation provided to victims and their families," said the rights group in a statement released one year after the first strike sorties were carried out by the alliance in Libya.

The organisation said it has documented 55 cases of named civilians, including 16 children and 14 women, killed in air strikes in the capital Tripoli, Zliten, Majer, Sirte and Brega.

NATO attacks, which played a key role in helping rebels to bring down dictator Moamer Kadhafi, left a deep rift in the UN Security Council.

Russia, China, South Africa and India all say NATO's tactics breached UN resolutions. The United States, Britain, France and Germany insist their actions were legal and life-saving.

Amnesty International acknowledged that "significant efforts" were made by NATO to avoid civilian casualties, but faulted its failure to investigate strikes that killed innocent people.

"Victims and relatives of those killed by NATO air strikes remain in the dark about what happened and who was responsible," said Donatella Rovera, senior crisis response adviser at Amnesty.

The rights group urged NATO to carry out investigations to determine whether civilian casualties stemmed from a breach of international law, and if so to bring those responsible to justice.

"Many of the deaths occurred as a result of air strikes on private homes," where there was no evidence to indicate that the homes had been used for military purposes at the time of the attack, it said.

Neither NATO nor the Libyan authorities have reached out to the victims, the rights group said in a briefing paper based on interviews it conducted in January and February.
 

Date created : 2012-03-19

  • LIBYA

    Amnesty report says Libyan militias are 'out of control'

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    A year on, Libyan revolution still has a long way to go

    Read more

  • LIBYA - HUMAN RIGHTS

    Amnesty says pro-Gaddafi detainees tortured

    Read more

COMMENT(S)