Don't miss




French education: Reinventing the idea of school

Read more


Frogs legs and brains? The French food hard to stomach

Read more

#TECH 24

Station F: Putting Paris on the global tech map

Read more


Davos 2017: 'I believe in the power of entrepreneurs to change the world'

Read more

#THE 51%

Equality in the boardroom: French law requires large firms to have 40% women on boards

Read more


Men's fashion: Winter 2017/2018 collections shake up gender barriers

Read more


Turkish writer Aslı Erdoğan speaks out about her time behind bars

Read more


Video: Threat of economic crisis still looms in Zimbabwe

Read more


DAVOS 2017: Has the bubble burst?

Read more


British hostage freed in Somalia, Foreign Office says

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-03-21

Britain's Foreign Office confirmed Wednesday that Judith Tebbutt, a British national held hostage in Somalia since September, has been released. Tebbutt's husband David was killed when the couple was attacked near the Kenyan-Somali border.

AFP - British hostage Judith Tebbutt, released Wednesday six months after her Somali abductors killed her husband, said in a TV interview that her son had secured her freedom.

"I am just happy to be released and I'm looking forward to seeing my son who successfully secured my release. I don't know how he did it, but he did. Which is great," the 57-year-old told Britain's ITV News.

It was not immediately clear if a ransom had been paid, but local Somali elder Mohamud Ibrahim said negotiations had been ongoing since her capture, and that "expenses incurred during the captivity were very high".

"Seven months is a long time and... the circumstances, with my husband passing away, made it harder," said Tebbutt, whose husband David was killed in the September 11 attack on the Kenyan beach resort where they were staying.

In a separate interview with ITV News filmed in the days before her release and broadcast for the first time on Wednesday, Tebbutt said she was in good health and had not been mistreated by her captors.

"I sleep very well here," said the Briton, who Somali elders said Wednesday was being flown to Nairobi, capital of neighbouring Kenya.

Looking thin but upbeat, she said she had been ill three times during her captivity, but had received medication "almost immediately" each time and recovered.

"My condition is good as far as I know," she said. "I feel fine. I've had absolutely no torture whatsoever. In fact, I've been made to feel as comfortable as possible by the pirates that are holding me."

Date created : 2012-03-21


    Frenchwoman kidnapped in Kenya has died, officials say

    Read more


    Somali Islamists deny kidnapping foreigners in Kenya

    Read more


    Somali rappers take on al Shabaab militants

    Read more