Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Iraqi Sunnis quit govt talks after mosque massacre

    Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • Rights group sues US government over ‘deportation mill’

    Read more

  • Colombian army and FARC rebels begin work on ceasefire

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Missouri town

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu set to be Erdogan's new PM

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Americas

Mexican court rejects Florence Cassez's appeal

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-03-22

A Mexican Supreme Court voted 3-2 against the release of Florence Cassez on Wednesday. The Frenchwoman, sentenced to 60 years for kidnapping in 2009, had appealed over an irregularity in her trial proceedings.

AFP - A panel of Mexico Supreme Court judges ruled Wednesday against releasing Frenchwoman Florence Cassez, sentenced to 60 years for kidnap, but agreed to further study her appeal.

Justice Arturo Zaldivar had recommended Cassez's release due to irregularities in her trial, after a long legal battle which has strained diplomatic relations and divided opinion in a country where kidnapping is rife.

Five Supreme Court justices ruled 3-2 against granting Cassez her immediate freedom, but four also said her rights had been violated.

"I'd have liked to see her release but I think we have a great victory," Cassez's lawyer, Agustin Acosta, said.

The decision "opens the debate to discuss the irregularities (in the case) of Florence Cassez."

A court official later told AFP that Justice Olga Sanchez, who voted in favor of Cassez's release, would make a new recommendation to the five-member panel, without giving a timeframe.

Mexican authorities have presented the arrest of Cassez and her ex-boyfriend Israel Vallarta, in late 2005, as a spectacular success in the fight against rampant kidnappings.

The attorney general's office hailed Wednesday's ruling as a "victory" for the victims and stood by its prosecution of Cassez for organized crime, kidnapping and weapons possession.

But Zaldivar wrote that the proceedings had been flawed, criticizing the police's role in a TV setup showing a "live" raid on a ranch to free three kidnap victims. The raid actually took place hours after the suspects were detained elsewhere.

He also criticized the failure to respect the presumption of innocence or to immediately present Cassez to consular and legal officials.

Cassez's mother, speaking in Paris, said she was "sad, disappointed and shocked" at the decision by the Mexican court.

"We can't lose hope... We must once more keep up the fight," a visibly emotional Charlotte Cassez told reporters in the French capital.

Her daughter's French lawyer Frank Berton called the situation "a massive judicial impasse."

"I am convinced that (President Felipe) Calderon made this a personal matter," Berton insisted. "This is a real international scandal."

The case has strained diplomatic relations between Mexico and France.

Mexico's government even canceled a year of Mexican cultural celebrations in France after French President Nicolas Sarkozy said he would dedicate them to Cassez.

Families of Mexican kidnap victims have meanwhile expressed outrage at Cassez's possible release.

"Today, we the victims are confident that justice will finally prevail and that a person accused of kidnapping has not been let out free," said Isabel Miranda de Wallace, director of the organization "Stop Kidnappings" and candidate for mayor of Mexico City from Calderon's conservative party.

Cassez, who is now 37 and has spent more than six years in a Mexican jail, has denied any knowledge of the crimes and claims the authorities made an example of her.
 

Date created : 2012-03-21

  • MEXICO - FRANCE

    Court to rule on overturning Frenchwoman's sentence

    Read more

  • MEXICO - FRANCE

    Justice to argue rights of jailed French woman may have been violated

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Cassez appeals to Mexico Supreme Court over 60-year sentence

    Read more

COMMENT(S)