Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola virus: US to send 3,000 troops to West Africa

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Nigeria attack: Bomb blast in college in Kano

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: Lockdown brings Sierra Leone capital to a halt

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy's political comeback: did he ever leave?

Read more

DEBATE

The World This Week

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Travel chaos: Air France pilots take industrial action

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Christian Kastrop, Director of Policy Studies, OECD

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: UN Security Council unanimously passes resolution

Read more

ENCORE!

Author Kiran Desai on early success and the Booker Prize

Read more

Middle east

NATO under fire for 'failing to aid' stricken migrant boat

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-03-30

An EU rights group has slammed NATO for ‘failing to aid' a migrant boat adrift in the Mediterranean Sea for two weeks during last year's military campaign against Libya. Only 9 of 72 on board survived.

AP - An EU rights group has blasted NATO and Western coast guards for failing to aid a boatload of migrants, dozens of whom died while adrift in the Mediterranean Sea during last year’s military campaign against Libya.

A report by a Council of Europe committee said that only nine of 72 people on board the vessel survived after it drifted in open seas for two weeks without assistance after its engine failed.

NATO, whose warships and maritime aircraft were patrolling the area at the time, enforcing an arms embargo against Libya, rejected the accusations.

Tens of thousands of people fled Libya to neighboring countries during the war, many of them aboard rickety boats heading for Malta and Italy. They included a large number of Africans who had either lived and worked in Libya or were waiting for an illegal crossing to Europe.

“NATO failed to react to the distress calls, even though there were military vessels under its control in the boat’s vicinity when the distress call was sent," the report, published Thursday, said.

The report said that a helicopter dropped biscuits and water to the migrants but never returned, while a large military vessel came into close contact with the boat but ignored obvious distress signals.

The migrants eventually drifted back to Libya, but not before most of those aboard died of exposure or thirst.

The alliance rejected the accusations, saying its ships and aircraft assisted in the rescue of over 600 people, and helped coordinate the rescue of many others.

“To help determine what happened, NATO provided a significant amount of information to the Council of Europe," spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said. “We have no record of any NATO aircraft or ship having seen or made contact with this particular boat.”

The report also accused Italy and Malta of failing to launch search and rescue operations although their rescue coordination centers had pinpointed the position of the stricken vessel. “No one went to the aid of this boat,” the report said.

The report, which took nine months to compile, recommended a review of all search and rescue procedures in the Mediterranean. It also called on NATO to launch a probe into the incident.

Other human rights groups have also criticized the failure to rescue the boat’s passengers, who were from Ethiopia, Nigeria, Eritrea, Ghana and Sudan.

Amnesty International said it “expressed its disquiet that (the inquiry) has yet to receive satisfactory replies from key players, including NATO, countries involved in NATO operations, and European Union institutions.”

“Everyone involved in this tragic incident must cooperate fully with this investigation,” said Nicolas Beger, director of Amnesty’s Brussels office. “Whoever is responsible must be held to account.”

Date created : 2012-03-29

  • Italy

    Boat carrying migrants runs aground near Lampedusa

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Lampedusa swamped as refugees arrive daily

    Read more

COMMENT(S)