Latest update: 05/04/2012
- al Qaeda - Islamism - Islamist militants - Mali - Sahara
Crisis in Mali: Could the Sahara become a haven for al Qaeda?
A caliphate in West Africa? Doubtful. But François Picard’s panel fears the Islamist push in Mali’s lawless north will only trigger more chaos after a coup in that landlocked West African state.
- Jeremy KEENAN, Professor of African studies at SOAS, University of London;
- Akli SH'KKA, Imuhagh International Youth Organization for Justice and Equality;
- Thomas DEMPSEY, Chair of Security Studies, Africa Center for Strategic Studies;
- Vincent FLOREANI, Deputy Spokesperson, French Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Cyril VANIER, France 24 senior correspondent.
Program prepared and produced by Christopher Davies, Anelise Borges and Mary Colombel