Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Mashujaa day: Kenyatta and Odinga call for peace before election rerun

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Kurdish referendum a ‘colossal mistake’, says son of late president Talabani

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The new 30s club: NZ's Jacinda Ardern joins list of maverick leaders

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Raqqa, Kirkuk, Xi Jinping

Read more

REPORTERS

The Dictator's Games: A rare look inside Turkmenistan

Read more

#TECH 24

Teaching maths with holograms

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Is China exporting its pollution?

Read more

#THE 51%

Are female empowerment adverts actually good for the cause?

Read more

FOCUS

The mixed legacy of 'Abenomics' in Japan

Read more

Africa

Gaddafi son Saif al-Islam attacked in detention

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-04-05

Saif al-Islam, the son of deceased dictator Muammar Gaddafi, has been attacked in detention in Libya, an International Criminal Court lawyer said Thursday. Saif is wanted by the court on charges of crimes against humanity.

AFP - Seif al-Islam, the son of slain Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi, has been attacked in detention in Libya, a lawyer from the International Criminal Court said on Thursday.

"Kadhafi has been physically attacked," ICC defence official Xavier-Jean Keita said in a statement accusing Libyan authorities of depriving the country's onetime favourite son of his fundamental rights.

"He also suffers pain due to the absence of dental treatment," the lawyer said in a statement.

Seif al-Islam is wanted on charges of crimes against humanity for his role in trying to put down the uprising to unseat his father in Libya last year.

Keita, who is from the ICC's Office of Public Counsel for the Defence (OPCD) and is acting as Seif's primary counsel, did not say when the attack took place or give any further details.

Keita said Seif's "effective representation cannot be secured in a setting in which the OPCD has no ability to conduct privileged communications with Kadhafi on an ongoing basis, or to transmit privileged documents to him.

"Kadhafi has been interviewed by domestic authorities without the benefit of legal representation, and has been provided misleading information concerning the status of domestic investigations against him," the statement said.

Also Thursday, the global police agency Interpol issued alerts seeking the arrest of two senior officials in Moamer Kadhafi's ousted regime on suspicion of torture and kidnapping.

A statement from the France-based body said Libya had requested assistance in detaining two officials identified as former interior minister Al-Senussi Alozyre, 63, and his former deputy Naser al-Mabruk, 60.

They are "accused of a range of offences including carrying out illegal arrests, unjustified deprivation of personal liberty and torture."

Several other Libyan officials are subject to Interpol "Red Notice" arrest requests, including the dictator's surviving sons and his former intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi, who is being held in Mauritania.

Date created : 2012-04-05

  • LIBYA

    Extradition to Libya of ex-spy chief ‘almost a done deal’

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Libya, France, ICC seek extradition of ex-spy chief

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Amnesty demands compensation for victims of NATO's Libya campaign

    Read more

COMMENT(S)