Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

The Little Prince on the big screen

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

At least 3 dead in grenade attack in Bujumbura

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Inequality, sexism and the movie industry

Read more

ENCORE!

Sienna Miller on motherhood, her new movies and Cannes glamour

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

After the Fall of Ramadi, Palmyra: Did the West Underestimate the Jihadists?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Migrants and Immigrants: A Global Crisis

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Behind the scenes of French gastronomy

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Protests continue in Burundi as calls mount for election delay

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Burundi: Nkurunziza delays parliamentary polls as clashes continue

Read more

Culture

Dior names new designer to succeed Galliano

Video by Catherine Nicholson

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-04-10

France's Dior fashion house on Monday named Belgian Raf Simons (pictured) to succeed John Galliano as chief designer. Galliano was fired more than a year ago for a high-profile racial outburst in a Paris bar.

AFP - French fashion powerhouse Dior on Monday named Raf Simons as chief designer to succeed disgraced John Galliano who was fired more than a year ago for racist outbursts.

The 44-year-old Belgian will be responsible for "Haute Couture, Ready-to-Wear and Women's Accessories," the Paris-based fashion house said in a statement.

He will premier his first Christian Dior Haute Couture collection in Paris in July, said Dior, one of the crown jewels in Bernard Arnault's LVMH luxury empire.

Dior hailed the Belgian as "one of the biggest contemporary talents", saying that "he will inspire and push into the 21st century the style that Mr Dior launched with the opening of his house and that has changed, since its first collection, the codes of world elegance."

Flamboyant British designer Galliano was sacked last year after a video emerged of him hurling anti-Semitic slurs at patrons in a Paris bar.

Since then, his former right-hand man Bill Gaytten has overseen Dior collections.

Galliano was convicted of anti-Semitism by a French court in September, receiving suspended fines totalling 6,000 euros after the court accepted his argument that he was sorry for his actions.

The Paris criminal court found him guilty of making anti-Semitic insults in public -- an offence under French law -- when he clashed with bar patrons in the capital's Marais district on two occasions, in February this year and October 2010.

The court ordered Galliano to pay a symbolic euro in damages to each of the victims and to five anti-racism groups that were plaintiffs in the case. He was also told to pay the bodies 16,500 euros in legal costs.

The 50-year-old designer later checked into rehab for two months in Arizona and Switzerland.
 

Date created : 2012-04-09

  • JUSTICE

    Paris court fines Galliano €6,000 for anti-Semitic rant

    Read more

  • JUSTICE

    Galliano tells court he cannot remember anti-Semitic rant

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Galliano a no-show as Dior presents his final collection following dismissal

    Read more

COMMENT(S)