Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola in Nigeria: First death outside of Lagos

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Niger : Top Oppostion figure to be questioned in baby trafficking scandal

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Liberia: President dismisses top officials who ignored call back

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

Read more

DEBATE

How to Stop Ebola: WHO Says Cases Could Exceed 20,000 (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

How to Stop Ebola: WHO Says Cases Could Exceed 20,000

Read more

WEB NEWS

'Ice Bucket Challenge' angers anti-abortion activists

Read more

#TECH 24

Tomorrow's Transport Today

Read more

FOCUS

Mothers and children leaving Honduras at all costs

Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

  • Russian troops have entered Ukraine, says Kiev

    Read more

  • PSG face Barcelona, Ajax in tough Champions League draw

    Read more

  • In pictures: Billions of locusts invade Madagascan capital

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

  • Erdogan sworn in as Turkey's president

    Read more

  • Assad cannot be partner in fight against terrorism, says Hollande

    Read more

  • New Ebola case in Nigeria brings death toll to 1,552

    Read more

  • Video: 'Neither Baghdad nor the US can defeat the Islamic State'

    Read more

  • Platini will not run against Blatter for FIFA presidency

    Read more

  • Air France pilots announce week-long strike in September

    Read more

  • New French economy minister takes swipe at 35-hour work week

    Read more

  • Uzi shooting by 9-year-old rekindles gun debate

    Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • Uruguayans sign up to grow marijuana at home

    Read more

  • Missouri governor appoints black public safety director

    Read more

Africa

Islamists rally in Cairo against Mubarak 'leftovers'

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-04-13

Thousands of Islamists demonstrated in Cairo Friday to block the staff of ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak from running in May's presidential election. A law to enact such a ban was passed by parliament Thursday and awaits military approval.

AFP - Thousands of Islamists demonstrated in Egypt on Friday to demand that members of ousted president Hosni Mubarak's regime be barred from standing in next month's presidential election.

They gathered in an upbeat mood in the capital's iconic Tahrir Square, symbol of the popular protest movement that led to last year's downfall of Mubarak, amid chants of "No to leftovers from the old regime!"

"We don't want Omar Suleiman!" they cried, referring to Mubarak's former intelligence chief who was also briefly vice president, and who had sought to make a return to political life as a candidate in the May 23-24 election.

Egypt one year on



Friday's demonstration came a day after the Islamist-dominated parliament approved a law that would ban former regime members from standing for public office.

The law, which still has to be approved by the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), could see former officials such as Suleiman disqualified.

The SCAF, which took over when Mubarak stood down on February 11, 2011, is widely seen as backing Suleiman's candidacy for president.

"The people want to bring down the military!" protesters chanted on Friday after the SCAF on Thursday insisted it "does not back any of the presidential candidates."

Mubarak's last premier Ahmed Shafiq, as well as former Arab League chief and long-time foreign minister Amr Mussa, are also candidates in next month's poll for the top job and would be disqualified if the new law is ratified.

"No to Shafiq, no to Suleiman -- we will return to Tahrir!" the demonstrators warned.

Khairat El-Shater, presidential candidate for the powerful Muslim Brotherhood, has denounced Suleiman's attempt to make a political comeback, likening it to an attempt "to steal the revolution" and warned it could spark huge street protests.

Friday's demonstration was called by the Brotherhood, now Egypt's main political force, and more hardline Salafist groups in statements on their websites demanding the "protection of the revolution."

It was staged in a relaxed atmosphere with many women and children present as demonstrators poured into the square from across the city.

Liberal and secular groups also do not wish to see the return of Mubarak-era figures, but they stayed away from Friday's protest.

They have instead called a demonstration on April 20 to denounce what they see as Islamist monopolisation of political life in the country since the revolt.

Date created : 2012-04-13

  • EGYPT

    Egyptian MPs move to block Suleiman presidential bid

    Read more

  • EGYPTIAN ELECTIONS

    Ex-spy chief slams Muslim Brotherhood's 'monopoly'

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Muslim Brotherhood names presidential candidate

    Read more

COMMENT(S)