Don't miss




Louis XIV's message for the royal baby

Read more


Macron hopes for breakthrough on trade tensions during US visit

Read more


Macron meets Trump: A state visit with discord on the horizon?

Read more


Music show: Mahalia, Ariana Grande & Willie Nelson

Read more


Tramadol: Cameroon’s low-budget opioid crisis

Read more


EU citizens’ consultations: Macron’s efforts to renew Europe

Read more


Strengthening ties Down Under: The man charged with promoting Australia in France

Read more


Jagland: ‘Would be disastrous if Russia pulls out of Council of Europe’

Read more


Much ado about nothing? Actress Natalie Portman's boycott of 'Jewish Nobel awards' sparks backlash

Read more


Guinea-Bissau PM 'arrested' in apparent coup attempt

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-04-13

Soldiers in Guinea-Bissau have reportedly arrested the prime minister, Carlos Gomes Junior, in what the West African bloc ECOWAS has described as an attempted coup. Separate reports suggest the interim president may also have been arrested.

AFP - Soldiers arrested Guinea-Bissau's presidential front-runner Carlos Gomes Junior after staging an apparent coup in the chronically unstable west African country, his wife said Friday.

Gomes, the outgoing prime minister tipped to win an April 29 run-off vote, was whisked away in a pick-up truck after troops assaulted their residence late Thursday, Salome Gomes told AFP when returned to the house to collect some belongings.

Soldiers armed with rocket-launchers, rocket-propelled grenades and Kalashnikov rifles also took control of the ruling party headquarters and the national radio station and rounded up politicians, as gunfire resounded in the darkened streets of the capital Bissau Thursday.

A military source said the arrested political figures were taken to army headquarters at Amura, near the coast of the coup-plagued nation.

West African regional group ECOWAS, which has been grappling with a putsch and rebellion in nearby Mali, "rigorously condemned" the coup bid.

Former colonial ruler Portugal meanwhile appealed "for a halt to the violence and respect for the law".

The military issued a terse statement Friday saying the move was in response to a "secret deal" between Guinea-Bissau and Angola, both former Portuguese colonies.

"The events of yesterday (Thursday) occurred because we discovered the existence of a secret military accord signed by Prime Minister Carlos Gomes, interim president Raimundo Pereira, the government of Guinea-Bissau and Angola," it said over state radio.

However, the statement did not say who was now in control of the country.

An associate of Gomes told AFP on Friday that Gomes was "in a very safe place" and unharmed.

Pereira's whereabouts remain unknown.

Soldiers patrolled the streets Friday, clustering outside the finance and justice ministries as well as the headquarters of the ruling African Party for the Independence of Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde (PAIGC), barring traffic from nearby streets.

Around 100 youths demonstrated outside the Gomes residence to show their "solidarity" before soldiers dispersed them.

Violence had been feared for days in the election period in the impoverished country, which has a history of political violence and is known as a major drug trafficking hub between South America and Europe.

Guinea-Bissau's opposition -- led by second-placed Kumba Yala, a former president who claims the first round of the election was rigged -- have called for a boycott of the April 29 run-off.

"Whoever dares to campaign will be responsible for what happens," Yala warned at a news conference with another four main opposition candidates on Thursday, denouncing what he called "massive fraud."

Gomes garnered 49 percent of the votes in the first round against Yala's 23 percent. The election campaign for the second round was supposed to start Friday and end April 27.

The first round was also tainted by the assassination of former military intelligence chief Colonel Samba Diallo, who had been accused of involvement in a 2009 bombing that killed the country's then army chief and prompted the murder of president Joao Bernardo Vieira in a revenge attack.

Since winning independence through armed combat in 1974, Guinea-Bissau's army and state have remained in constant, often deadly conflict, with the result that no president has ever completed a full term in office.

Three have been overthrown and one was assassinated in office in 2009.

The latest election was held after the last president, Malam Bacai Sanha, died in January following a long illness.


Date created : 2012-04-13


    Guinea-Bissau troops attack prime minister's residence

    Read more


    Guinea-Bissau presidential poll goes to second round

    Read more


    Opposition cite ‘fraud’ and demand poll be cancelled

    Read more