Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Iraqi Sunnis quit govt talks after mosque massacre

    Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu set to be Erdogan's new PM

    Read more

  • Hollande is ‘nobody’s president’ says former French minister

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Africa

Stadium riot trial adjourned amid disorderly opening day

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-04-17

The 61 Port Said fans charged with involvement in Egypt's deadliest football violence hurled abuse at the judge in opening session of their trial on Tuesday, vocally denying any role in the deaths, prompting the adjournment of the session.

REUTERS - The trial of 61 men over the death of 74 soccer fans in Egypt’s worst stadium disaster was adjourned on Tuesday after a rowdy first session that was suspended briefly when dozens of defendants hurled abuse at the judge.

Judge Abdel Magid Mahmoud walked out as the defendants jumped on benches in the courtroom’s steel cage and waved their fists at the bench, denying any role in the deaths and demanding that the true culprits be punished.

“Either we get justice for them or we die ourselves!” the defendants yelled.

The judge returned when calm was restored and set May 5 for the next session to give the court time to call witnesses, prepare documents requested by lawyers and summon more of the accused to stand trial.

Many of those killed on the night of Feb. 1 were crushed when panicked fans tried to escape from the stadium after a post-match pitch invasion by supporters of local side al-Masry. Others fell or were thrown from terraces, witnesses said.

It was the country’s deadliest incident since protests toppled long-serving President Hosni Mubarak in February 2011 and it deepened frustration that a police force weakened by last year’s uprising seemed unable to protect the population.

Fans of the visiting team, Al Ahly, accused the Interior Ministry of deliberately causing the disaster in revenge for their role in toppling Mubarak and their continued hostility to an unreformed police force.

The court ordered that Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim and the heads of al-Masry club, the Egyptian Football Association and the Supreme Sports Council be named as concerned parties in the case, meaning they will not be exposed to criminal charges but may be told to pay compensation if found responsible for acts of their subordinates, state news agency MENA reported.

Premeditated killing

A parliamentary inquiry blamed fans and shoddy policing for the deaths and the head of state security in Port Said was fired along with the board of the football association.

“The accused used different types of sharp weapons, explosives and stones and waited for the fans in Port Said stadium to arrive to watch the match between Egypt’s Ahly vs Port Said clubs,” the general prosecutor told the court.

The 61 were charged with premeditated killing and 12 others, including nine police officers and three Masry club officials, with helping cause the disaster.

The interior ministry has refused to provide security at soccer matches since the disaster, forcing the cancellation of the rest of the top-flight league season.

Hundreds of protesters outside the court building demanded justice for the victims. Some fans wore black shirts imprinted with the words: “When I forego the rights of the martyrs, I will surely be dead”.

“We only want the justice of God,” said Ahmed Khater, 55, whose son died in the stadium.

Many of the protesters outside the court were Ahly fans who see the trial as a last chance to reassert their dignity. Some likened the case to the ongoing trials of Mubarak and other state officials blamed for the deaths of more than 800 people in last year’s uprising.

“We will not allow any prolonging of the process. If the martyrs’ rights aren’t secured by law, we will achieve it by other means," said student Mahmoud Adel.

 

Date created : 2012-04-17

  • EGYPT

    Deadly clashes break out over Egypt football ban

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Clashes continue in Cairo over football deaths

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Scores dead in violence after Egyptian football match

    Read more

COMMENT(S)