Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

'All is Well' for Lisa Simone

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

EU questions Apple's tax deals in Ireland

Read more

FOCUS

The Iraqi TV show where victims confront terrorists

Read more

REPORTERS

Video: Syrian student risks her life to film IS group stronghold

Read more

LIFESTYLES

Forgotten and fictional sports

Read more

DEBATE

Modi in America: India's Prime minister on triumphant US tour

Read more

DEBATE

Hong Kong protests: Pro-democracy movement gets global support

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

China censors Hong Kong protests on social media

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Diane von Fürstenberg, Fashion designer

Read more

Europe

Murdoch unfit to run media empire, lawmakers say

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-05-01

A British court published a report Tuesday saying media tycoon Rupert Murdoch was "not a fit person" to run his company and guilty of "willful blindness" in a phone-hacking scandal that brought down his News of the World tabloid.

AFP - Rupert Murdoch showed "wilful blindness" over phone hacking at his News of the World tabloid and is unfit to run a major international company, British lawmakers said in a long-awaited report Tuesday.

The 81-year-old tycoon's British newspaper wing, News International, also misled parliament during its inquiry into the scandal at the tabloid, which Murdoch closed down in disgrace in July 2011.

"Rupert Murdoch is not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company," the cross-party media, culture and sport committee said in the 121-page report, entitled "News International and Phone-Hacking".

"If at all relevant times Rupert Murdoch did not take steps to become fully informed about phone-hacking, he turned a blind eye and exhibited wilful blindness to what was going on in his companies and publications."

The report singled out former News International executive chairman Les Hinton, former News of the World legal manager Tom Crone and the newspaper's final editor Colin Myler as having misled the committee.

Rupert Murdoch and his son James, who was News International's chairman and chief executive at the time, both gave evidence to the committee on July 19 last year, when Murdoch senior was attacked with a foam pie by a protester.

The committee's report, entitled "News International and Phone-Hacking", said senior executives at the company had misled their investigation.

The panel said it was now for parliament's lower House of Commons to decide "what punishment should be imposed" on those it thinks have treated the committee with contempt.

 

Date created : 2012-05-01

  • UK

    Murdoch blames tabloid for phone hacking 'cover-up'

    Read more

  • MEDIA

    James Murdoch resigns as head of News International

    Read more

  • MEDIA

    Murdoch launches first edition of 'Sun on Sunday'

    Read more

COMMENT(S)