Latest update: 03/05/2012
- China - currencies - diplomacy - economy - human rights - USA
China Human Rights: Dissidents and diplomacy (part 2)
They call him the blind lawyer, and Chen Guangcheng certainly blindsided the Chinese government this week. After years of harassment at the hands of local officials, the dissident managed to give his guards the slip. He is now thought to be at the US embassy in Beijing - all this just days before Hilary Clinton arrives in China for a summit on trade and foreign policy. Laura Baines and her panel discuss how this issue could affect US-China relations.
- Jean-François DI MEGLIO, Founder of the Asia Centre in Paris;
- Emmanuel LINCOT, Editor-in-chief of "Monde Chinois" and Chair of Contemporary China Studies;
- Martin JACQUES, Author of "When China rules the world";
- Bob FU, Founder and President of ChinaAid.
Programme prepared and produced by Christopher Davies, Molly Hall and Joseph Tandy