Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

Gaza: A Truce At All Costs?

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Central African Republic: Brazzaville ceasefire talks deliver fragile deal

Read more

FOCUS

Sluggish tourist season in Crimea

Read more

ENCORE!

Bartabas : Mixing Christ with Spanish music and dancing horses

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Shifts in the propaganda war waged between Israelis and Palestinians

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

French MPs face quandary in pro-Palestinian rallies

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Yezid Sayigh, Senior Associate at the Carnegie Middle East Center in Beirut

Read more

#TECH 24

Mind the Gender Gap : getting more women into the tech sector

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Bolivian children: heading to work aged 10

Read more

  • France says missing Algerian plane 'probably crashed'

    Read more

  • 51 French nationals aboard missing Algerian plane

    Read more

  • Deadly strike on UN shelter in Gaza Strip

    Read more

  • Pope meets with Sudanese Christian woman sentenced to death for apostasy

    Read more

  • Algerian jet vanishes: 'We should eliminate the missile hypothesis'

    Read more

  • Italy’s Nibali cruises to easy victory in 18th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • Iraqi parliament elects moderate Kurd as president

    Read more

  • US, European aviation agencies lift travel restrictions to Tel Aviv

    Read more

  • No end to fighting until Israel ends Gaza blockade, Hamas says

    Read more

  • Two foreign women shot dead in western Afghanistan

    Read more

  • At least 60 killed in attack on prison convoy near Baghdad

    Read more

  • Cycling is ‘winning the war on doping,’ says expert

    Read more

  • Ceasefire agreed for Central African Republic

    Read more

  • Can Jew-kissing-Arab selfie give peace a viral chance?

    Read more

  • Botched Arizona execution takes nearly two hours

    Read more

Middle east

Protests against military rule turn deadly in Cairo

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-05-02

At least 20 people were killed Wednesday when those protesting against military rule were attacked near Egypt's Defence Ministry. Four presidential candidates temporarily suspended campaigning in solidarity with the protesters.

AFP -Thugs attacked an anti-military protest near the defence ministry in Cairo on Wednesday and 20 people were killed, officials said, in the politically tense run-up to the first post-uprising presidential election.

The dawn assault sparked fierce clashes between the unidentified attackers and the protesters, who have been there for days calling for an end to military rule, with both sides hurling petrol bombs and rocks, the official said.

The army deployed troops in central Cairo to quell the clashes, a military source told AFP.

A security official said the army and security forces had formed a cordon between the protesters and the attackers, bringing the fighting to a halt.

A doctor at a field hospital set up in the area said 20 people had been killed and dozens injured.

Four presidential candidates announced they had temporarily suspended their campaigns over the killings.

The Muslim Brotherhood's Mohammed Mursi told reporters he decided to suspend his campaign for 48 hours "in solidarity with the protesters."

He blamed the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces because it is the ruling authority. SCAF "is the first to be responsible," he said.

His main Islamist rival, Abdel Moneim Abul Fotouh, cancelled all his events for the day over the clashes, a campaign official told AFP.

Leftist candidates Khaled Ali and Hamdeen Sabbahi also announced they were suspending their campaigns.

Pro-democracy activists including the Coalition of Revolution Youth, as well as Abul Fotouh, have called for a march to Abbassiya at 5:00pm (1500 GMT) to demand an end to the bloodshed in Cairo, where traffic in the centre of the city had ground to a halt and created patches of grid lock across the capital.

Leading dissident Mohamed ElBaradei denounced the "massacre" outside the ministry of defence.

"SCAF & Government unable to protect civilians or in cahoots with thugs. Egypt going down the drain," the former UN nuclear watchdog chief posted on Twitter.

The protesters, supporters of Salafist politician Hazem Abu Ismail, have been camped out since Saturday after the electoral commission barred the popular hardline Islamist from contesting the upcoming presidential election.

On Sunday, one person was killed and 119 injured in clashes between Abu Ismail supporters and residents of the Abbassiya neighbourhood in Cairo, where the defence ministry is located.

Protests since the popular uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak last year have often turned violent, with thugs associated to the previous regime frequently blamed.

The electoral commission on April 14 barred 10 candidates, including the Muslim Brotherhood's Khairat El-Shater and the former president's intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, from standing in the poll to choose Mubarak's successor.

Abu Ismail's nomination was rejected because his mother had taken joint US citizenship, but many of his supporters believe he was the victim of a "plot" by the authorities.

The first round of the presidential election is scheduled for May 23-24, and the SCAF has promised to hand over power to the winner by the end of June.

 

Date created : 2012-05-02

  • On The Observers

    Who was behind the attacks at Egypt's Defence Ministry?

    Read more

  • SAUDI ARABIA - EGYPT

    Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador to Egypt

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Egypt confirms barred presidential candidates

    Read more

COMMENT(S)