Police injure a student protester in Quebec, Thais question law against insulting royalty after prisoner's death, and more
This show is made up entirely of amateur images. We've seen time and time again how images captured by ordinary citizens then uploaded onto the Web can change history, or at least shift the balance of power. This week, we take a look back at some of those moments.
STORY 1: Canada
We begin today in Quebec, Canada. Students there have been protesting for months against tuition hikes. The provincial government wants to increase fees by 75% over five years, and the students don't like it. Their protests have been getting increasingly violent, with stones thrown at police and the police fighting back. On the 5th of May, one of the protesters was seriously hurt. Our Observer, William Ray, was there with his camera.
STORY 2: Thailand
Now to Thailand, home to the world's longest-serving monarch. King Rama the Ninth has been in power for more than 65 years. He's generally popular - but you'd better not insult him, or his wife. It is illegal. One of their subjects, an elderly man named Ampon Tangnoppakul, was sentenced to 20 years for allegedly sending four text messages questioning the couple's commitment to their people. Ampon, who was already suffering from cancer, died last month in prison. His death has reignited questions about the monarchy, especially among the so-called Red Shirt political movement, which has been critical of the palace's power. Our observer pays tribute to the man known as "Uncle SMS".
STORY 3: World
Next up, a look at some of the images sent in this week by our Observers.
First stop, Charlotte, North Carolina, with Michael Guerrero, a political activist and member of the 'Occupy' movement, which spread around the world last year. Michael acknowledges that the movement lost steam over the winter. But he says that with summer around the corner he and his fellow activists are resuming their struggle to get the world's richest 1% to share with the other 99%. Here they're focusing on the Bank of America, which they accuse of profiting from the mortgage foreclosures that have cost so many Americans their homes.
Now to Russia, and a local offshoot of the Occupy movement. Activists in Moscow have staged something they call 'Occupy Abai', under the statue of a Kazakh poet. Our observer Pavel tells us their target is not the financial world, but Russia's newly reinstalled president, Vladimir Putin. They believe the election that put him back in the Kremlin was fraudulent.
Last stop, Hubei province in central China. These photos show high-school students getting a shot in the arm to help them get into university. We're coming up to the dreaded 'gaokao' entrance exam, and these students are getting a drip of amino acids to keep them sharp while they revise. The school originally proposed the shots in the infirmary, but the students clamored to have them administered in the classroom, so they wouldn't lose a precious minute away from their books.