Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Federal Reserve hikes interest rates, raises forecast

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Saudi Arabia and UAE pledge €130M for G5 Sahel Joint Force

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

‘Trump still committed to a two-state solution,’ says Saudi Foreign Minister Jubeir

Read more

THE DEBATE

How to patrol the Sahara? The challenges facing G5 Sahel joint force

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: 'Star Wars, The Last Jedi'

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Evo Morales: US exit from Paris accord is 'unforgivable'

Read more

FOCUS

Niger's Agadez: Pearl of the Sahara turned migrant hub

Read more

FOCUS

Spain's Tagus river is drying up

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

'Looking for Oum Kulthum': Breaking the glass ceiling in the art world

Read more

Business

Launch of commercial space rocket cancelled

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-05-19

A private company that was set to launch a rocket loaded with supplies to the International Space Station aborted the launch at the last minute on Saturday. It would have been the first commercial flight to the ISS.

AP - A new private rocket bound for the International Space Station roared to life for a history-making liftoff Saturday, but remained stuck on the ground following a last-second abort.

The countdown reached all the way to practically zero Saturday morning for the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. The engine ignition sequence started up, but there was an automatic shutdown by on-board computers. So instead of blasting off on a delivery mission to the space station, the rocket stayed on its launch pad amid a cloud of engine exhaust.

Even NASA’s most seasoned launch commentator was taken off guard.

“... 3-2-1, zero, and liftoff,” announced commentator George Diller, his voice trailing as the rocket failed to budge. “We’ve had a cutoff. Liftoff did not occur.”

Billionaire rocket designer Elon Musk attributed the problem to slightly high combustion chamber pressure on engine No. 5. “Will adjust limits for countdown in a few days,” he wrote via Twitter.

Tuesday is the earliest that SpaceX can try again to send its cargo-laden Dragon capsule to the space station. The California-based company - formally known as Space Exploration Technologies Corp. - is targeting every third day for a launch attempt to save fuel in case of rendezvous problems at the space station.

This was the first launch attempt by one of the private U.S. companies hoping to take over the job of delivering cargo and eventually astronauts to the space station for NASA. Only governments have accomplished that to date: the United States, Russia, Europe and Japan.

NASA is looking to the private sector to take over flights to orbit in the post-shuttle era. The goal is to get American astronauts launching again from U.S. soil. SpaceX officials said that could happen in as little as three years, possibly four. Several other companies are in the running.

An estimated 1,000 SpaceX and NASA guests poured into the launching area in the wee hours of Saturday, hoping to see firsthand the start of this new commercial era. They left disappointed.

Everyone, it seemed, was rooting for a successful flight.

“Go SpaceX,” read the sign outside Cape Canaveral City Hall. Until NASA’s space shuttles retired last summer, the sign had urged on the launches of Discovery, Endeavour and, finally, Atlantis. Those ships are now relegated to museums.

Late last month, SpaceX conducted a test firing of the nine first-stage rocket engines at the pad. No major problems were found.

For Saturday’s launch attempt, Musk was in the SpaceX Mission Control in Hawthorne, Calif. He helped create PayPal and founded SpaceX 10 years ago. He also runs Tesla Motors, his electric car company.

Date created : 2012-05-19

  • SPACE

    Soyuz blasts off, carrying Galileo satellites to space

    Read more

  • SCIENCE

    New planet could support life, astronomers say

    Read more

  • AEROSPACE

    Rocket carrying space's heaviest cargo blasts off

    Read more

COMMENT(S)