Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

France's Plan to Tackle Racism

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Marine Le Pen and Thomas Piketty in Time magazine's power list; EU takes on Google; Gunter Grass dies (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deadly Crossing: Migrants desperate to reach Europe; Abadi in Washington (part 1)

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Xenophobic attacks in South Africa: anti-violence marches and anti immigration protest

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

French PM outlines action plan against racism, anti-Semitism

Read more

REPORTERS

Turkey’s hidden Armenians search for stolen identity

Read more

REVISITED

Families of slain Marikana miners still demanding justice

Read more

#TECH 24

Europe vs. Google: EU accuses search giant of market dominance abuse

Read more

#THE 51%

Women in America: Land of the free, home to the less-paid

Read more

Middle east

Syrian regime denies responsibility for massacre

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-05-27

The Syrian government denied on Sunday that it was behind the massacre of scores of civilians, including 32 children, in the town of Houla. Damascus blamed opposition fighters for the atrocity which sparked outrage among world leaders.

AFP - The Syrian government is "not at all" responsible for the massacre of at least 92 people in the central town of Houla which has sparked an international outcry, foreign ministry spokesman Jihad al-Makdissi said on Sunday.

"We completely deny responsibility for this terrorist massacre against our people," Makdissi told a news conference.

Blaming "terrorists" for the deaths on Friday and Saturday, the spokesman said the government had opened an investigation.

"We have set up a military and legal committee to investigate," he said. "The results will emerge within days."

Makdissi said UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan would arrive in Syria on Monday for fresh talks with senior officials.

Calling for a "return to dialogue and the negotiating table," the spokesman said: "We want calm and we wish Mr Annan well."

Makdissi said no Syrian tanks had entered Houla and government troops in the town had only acted in self-defence.

"There was an assault by terrorists from 2:00 pm (1100 GMT) until 11:00 pm (2000 GMT)," he said. "Not one Syrian tank went in. The Syrian forces did not leave their positions."

He added, however, that Syrian forces had "retaliated in self-defence," and that "clashes continued until 11:00 pm (2000 GMT)."

Responding to UN chief Ban Ki-moon's calls to withdraw heavy armoury and tanks from the streets, Makdissi said: "There are neighbourhoods where there are armed men.

"The observers go into the towns and see with their own eyes," he said. "It is the government's right to protect its citizens."

On Saturday, a team of UN observers visited Houla. The team "counted more than 32 children and over 60 adults killed," observer mission chief Major General Robert Mood told reporters in Damascus.

A monitoring group said 114 people had been killed in Houla.

"Whoever started, whoever responded and whoever carried out this deplorable act of violence should be held responsible," Mood said.

Date created : 2012-05-27

  • SYRIA

    World leaders demand action after Syria massacre

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Syria 'massacre' sparks international outrage

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Children killed in Syria 'massacre', activists say

    Read more

COMMENT(S)