Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Melania, migrant children and a curious message

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Eurozone ministers inching towards 'credible' debt deal for Greece

Read more

THE DEBATE

Erdogan goes all in: The high stakes of Turkey's elections

Read more

FOCUS

Rubbish piling up in France's illegal landfills

Read more

ENCORE!

Join our summer solstice music celebration

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

Allez les Bleus! Exploring France's love of football

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Burger King pulls ad offering burgers for women impregnated by World Cup stars

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Outcry over migrant family separations in US

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

Turkey's crackdown: 'This is unprecedented on many levels'

Read more

Europe

Mladic war crimes trial suspended again

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2012-06-18

The UN war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia announced on Monday that the trial of former Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic, which was set to resume this month, will be suspended until further notice.

REUTERS - The U.N. war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia said on Monday the trial of Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic, which was due to resume this month, was suspended until further notice.

Mladic, who was arrested in Serbia in May 2011 after 16 years on the run, is accused of genocide for his role in the siege of Bosnia’s capital Sarajevo and for allegedly orchestrating the 1995 killing of 8,000 Muslims in Srebrenica.

The court decided to suspend proceedings because of an error in disclosing documents to the defense team, the court said in a statement. Hearings had been scheduled to resume on June 25.

This is the second suspension of the trial since it opened in The Hague last month.

Mladic, who has refused to enter a plea, is the last of the main figures in the Balkan wars of the 1990s to go on trial at the court.

Relatives of victims and survivors are worried that if the trial takes too long, Mladic, who is 70 and has suffered heart trouble, could die before a verdict is rendered.

Former Yugoslav strongman Slobodan Milosevic, who also faced genocide charges for the Balkan wars, died in 2006 before a judgment was issued.

 

Date created : 2012-06-18

  • JUSTICE

    Ratko Mladic on trial for war crimes at The Hague

    Read more

  • JUSTICE

    Mladic war crimes trial suspended indefinitely

    Read more

  • INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE

    Mladic war crimes trial set for May 14

    Read more

COMMENT(S)