Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Air Algerie investigation continues

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Dozens of youths trampled to death on Conakry beach

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola death toll tops 700

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

UNRWA official breaks down over Gaza deaths

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults - Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds' (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults - Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Renault's women drivers ad deemed sexist

Read more

FOCUS

Constitution prohibits Aung San Suu Kyi to run for president

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

War and Markets, with Steen Jakobsen, Chief Economist at Saxo Bank

Read more

  • Kerry, Ban announce 72-hour humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza

    Read more

  • Interactive: France’s new plan to counter jihadism in Africa

    Read more

  • French Jews speak of growing fear in Paris amid Gaza conflict

    Read more

  • Argentinian markets plummet following default

    Read more

  • Video: Inside Hamas ‘terror’ tunnels in Gaza

    Read more

  • France remembers murdered socialist hero Jean Jaurès

    Read more

  • Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over spread of Ebola

    Read more

  • Investigators reach MH17 site amid 24-hour ceasefire

    Read more

  • Air France ground workers to strike on August 2

    Read more

  • Scores feared dead in India landslide

    Read more

  • Russia ordered to pay further €1.9 billion to Yukos shareholders

    Read more

  • Iraq's Christians: Nowhere to Run?

    Read more

  • Russia defiant as US, EU unveil 'phase three' sanctions

    Read more

  • US House votes to sue Obama for over-reaching his powers

    Read more

Europe

Mladic war crimes trial suspended again

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-06-18

The UN war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia announced on Monday that the trial of former Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic, which was set to resume this month, will be suspended until further notice.

REUTERS - The U.N. war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia said on Monday the trial of Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic, which was due to resume this month, was suspended until further notice.

Mladic, who was arrested in Serbia in May 2011 after 16 years on the run, is accused of genocide for his role in the siege of Bosnia’s capital Sarajevo and for allegedly orchestrating the 1995 killing of 8,000 Muslims in Srebrenica.

The court decided to suspend proceedings because of an error in disclosing documents to the defense team, the court said in a statement. Hearings had been scheduled to resume on June 25.

This is the second suspension of the trial since it opened in The Hague last month.

Mladic, who has refused to enter a plea, is the last of the main figures in the Balkan wars of the 1990s to go on trial at the court.

Relatives of victims and survivors are worried that if the trial takes too long, Mladic, who is 70 and has suffered heart trouble, could die before a verdict is rendered.

Former Yugoslav strongman Slobodan Milosevic, who also faced genocide charges for the Balkan wars, died in 2006 before a judgment was issued.

 

Date created : 2012-06-18

  • INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE

    Mladic war crimes trial set for May 14

    Read more

COMMENT(S)