Latest update: 03/07/2012
- Africa - African politics - al Qaeda - Mali - Tuareg
The destruction of Timbuktu (part 2)
Destroying the great shrines of Timbuktu is Ansar Dine’s way of telling the local population that they are eradicating the old order and starting fresh. François Picard’s panellists warn, however, of a backlash against Ansar Dine and those who supply them across the border in Algeria, but not before a long process.
- Fatoumata Sire DIAKITÉ. President, Association for the Progress and Defense of Women. Former Malian Ambassador to Germany (by telephone from Bamako);
- Jeremy KEENAN. Professorial research associate, School of Oriental and African Studies (from London);
- Jean Charles BRISARD. Author and consultant on terrorism;
- Emmanuel GOUJON. Consultant, Africa Global Approach.
Produced by François Picard, Anelise Borges, Mary Colombel, Christopher Davis.