Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

British Airways IT debacle could cost the airline big

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Security in Europe: Is there more that could or should be done?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Is this the end of the Western post-war order?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Living with the 'new normal': How govts need to innovate in the fight against terrorism

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Putin 'gets the tsar treatment' as he meets Macron in Versailles

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2017: 'The Square', Sofia Coppola and Joaquin Phoenix take top prizes

Read more

ENCORE!

The highs and lows of Cannes for the critics

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Remembering our friend and colleague Jean-Karim Fall

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Bad diplomacy, brawls & bromance

Read more

Europe

Nazi hunters give Hungary 'new evidence' of top suspect

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-07-16

The Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Centre said Sunday its director Efraim Zuroff (pictured) has given authorities in Budapest new evidence about its most wanted suspect Laszlo Csatary, a former police officer believed to be living in Hungary.

AFP - The Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Centre said on Sunday it has provided "new evidence" to authorities in Budapest on its most wanted suspect Laszlo Csatary, who is believed to be living in Hungary.

The centre's Efraim Zuroff "last week submitted new evidence to the prosecutor in Budapest regarding crimes committed during World War II by its No 1 Most Wanted suspect Laszlo Csatary," accused of complicity in the deaths of 15,700 Jews, it said.

"This new evidence strengthens the already very strong case against Csatary and reinforces our insistence that he be held accountable for his crimes," Zuroff said in the statement.

The centre said the evidence "related to Csatary’s key role in the deportation of approximately 300 Jews from Kosice to Kamenetz-Podolsk, Ukraine, where almost all were murdered in the summer of 1941."

The Wiesenthal Centre urged Hungarian prosecutors to put Csatary, 97, on trial, charging he had served during World War II as a senior Hungarian police officer in the Slovakian city of Kosice, then under Hungarian rule.

"This new evidence strengthens the already very strong case against Csatary and reinforces our insistence that he be held accountable for his crimes," said the centre.

"The passage of time in no way diminishes his guilt and old age should not afford protection for Holocaust perpetrators."

"Zuroff urged Hungarian authorities to expedite the ongoing investigation against Csatary, which was initiated in September 2011 following his submission of evidence regarding Csatary’s residence in Budapest and the former police officer’s role in the deportations of thousands of Jews from Kosice and its environs to the Auschwitz death camp in the spring of 1944."

The centre said Csatary had been photographed and filmed in Budapest last September.

The suspect was located after a tip-off, for which the informant was paid a reward of $25,000 "which we give when information helps trace Nazi criminals," Zuroff told AFP.

Hungary's assistant prosecutor general, Jeno Varga, said: "An investigation is under way. The prosecutor's office will study the information received."

 

Date created : 2012-07-15

  • OBITUARY

    Nazi criminal John Demjanjuk dies aged 91

    Read more

  • HUNGARY

    Former Nazi war crimes suspect Kepiro dies aged 97

    Read more

  • GERMANY

    'Third-most-wanted' Nazi suspect dies ahead of trial

    Read more

COMMENT(S)