Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Iraqi Sunnis quit govt talks after mosque massacre

    Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu set to be Erdogan's new PM

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Middle east

Syria denies UN claims of massacre in Tremseh

Video by Nicholas RUSHWORTH

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-07-15

Syria denied on Sunday claims by the UN that government forces used heavy weapons in an attack on the central village of Tremseh, saying special envoy Kofi Annan's comments about the fighting, described by activists as a massacre, were "rushed".

REUTERS - Syria denied on Sunday accusations by special envoy Kofi Annan that it used heavy weapons or helicopters in clashes in the village of Tremseh last week, saying his comments about the fighting, which activists called a massacre, were “rushed”.

Jihad Makdissi, spokesman for Syria’s Foreign Ministry, said security forces killed 37 fighters and two civilians in a campaign against the town in central Hama, from which the government said rebels were launching attacks on other areas.

Activists’ estimates of the death toll ranges from 100 to 220, many of them whole families in the village of Tremseh, where United Nations monitors say there was heavy fighting on Thursday.

“Government forces did not use planes, or helicopters, or tanks or artillery. The heaviest weapon used was an RPG (rocket propelled grenade),” Makdissi t o ld reporters at a news conference in Damascus.

“What happened was not a massacre ... what happened was a military operation. They were clashes between security forces, whose duty is to defend civilians, and heavily armed forces that don’t believe in a political solution.”

Syria has become mired in a bloody revolt against President Bashar al-Assad that is now in its seventeenth month. Some foreign officials now say the uprising that began as street protests has morphed into a civil war.

So far, video published by activists said to be from the small village has shown blood drenched and burned corpses of young men, who could have been rebel fighters.

State of defence, not attack

Special envoy Annan, who is leading efforts to implement a peace initiative in Syria, said on Friday that Syria had violated its commitments to U.N.-backed peace efforts.

“I am shocked and appalled by news coming out of the village of Tremseh, near Hama, of intense fighting, significant casualties, and the confirmed use of heavy weaponry such as artillery, tanks and helicopters,” he said in a statement.

“This is in violation of the government’s undertaking to cease the use of heavy weapons in population centres and its commitment to the six-point plan.”

Makdissi rejected Annan’s accusations, which were repeated in a letter sent to Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem

“The least that can be said about this letter about what happened in Tremseh is that it did not rely on facts. As diplomatically as possible, we say that this letter was very rushed,” the spokesman said.

Makdissi said statements on Saturday from a group of United Nations observers sent to Tremseh confirmed Syria’s version of events. The group said the violence appeared to be attacks targeting rebels and opposition activists.

But their report also said artillery and mortars were used, and the head of the monitoring mission said a day earlier that monitors in the province had reported use of helicopters and indiscriminate fire.

Makdissi said accusations of a fierce attack were implausible given the tiny size of the village.“Everything that has been said on the use of heavy weapons in an assault on a village no bigger than 1 km squared is completely untrue,” he said, denying that villagers were targeted. “We are in a state of self-defence, not a state of attack.”

 

Date created : 2012-07-15

  • SYRIA

    Rebels targeted in Treimsa massacre, UN says

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Syrian regime kills dozens in village, opposition says

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Russia balks at UN resolution on Syria

    Read more

COMMENT(S)