Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Seven African countries' economies at risk over Brexit decision

Read more

THE DEBATE

Britain votes out: What next?

Read more

#TECH 24

The 'fintech' revolution

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

A certified 'palace': How hotels strive for excellence

Read more

#THE 51%

In her own image: Women in Art

Read more

REPORTERS

World War I: When northern France was on German time

Read more

REVISITED

Video: Ugandan city still scarred by Lord's Resistance Army atrocities

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#Brexit sparks a storm on social media

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Markets, pound plunge on Brexit vote

Read more

Africa

South Sudan cancels peace talks after 'bombings'

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-07-21

Peace talks between South Sudan and Sudan planned for Sunday at the African Union headquarters have been suspended after South Sudan on Saturday accused its neighbor of launching an air raid on its territory.

AFP - South Sudan said Saturday it was cancelling planned face-to-face peace talks with Sudan after accusing Khartoum of launching a new air raid on its territory.

"We were left with no choice but to suspend our direct bilateral talks with Sudan," the spokesman for Juba's delegation at the talks in Addis Ababa, Atif Kiir, said.

"You cannot sit with them to negotiate when they are bombing our territory," he added.

"The only negotiations that will happen now will happen through the panel," he said, referring to an African Union mediation panel conducting the talks in the Ethiopian capital.

The negotiations to settle disputes stemming from the South's independence in July last year stalled in April, but resumed in May.

"There was bombing yesterday morning at a place called Rubaker," in northern Bahr el Ghazal, South Sudan's military spokesman Philip Aguer told AFP earlier, adding that "this might have implications because maybe that is the intention of Sudan to bomb us and to stop talking."

Aguer said eight bombs were dropped by Sudanese army Antonov planes.

"Two civilians were wounded – a man and a woman. They were sleeping in their houses in the villages of Wuer Kil and Wuer Puech", he said.

"Last time they wanted to break off talks in Addis Ababa, they bombed us ... that was on March 26" at a military base in oil-producing Unity state, he added.

The fighting in March led to a new escalation of violence between the two sides and fears of renewed full-blown war.

A new round of talks is due to begin Sunday at African Union headquarters, a week after Sudanese President Omar al-Beshir and his South Sudanese counterpart Salva Kiir exchanged a symbolic handshake at a bloc summit.

Spokesman Atef Kiir said there was "no reflection" of the mood set by the meeting of the two presidents, adding, "we are doing our best."

South Sudanese Communications Minister Barnaba Marial Benjamin commented, "There are people who don't want the talks within the Khartoum regime – that's why they are bombing us."

The African Union's Peace and Security Council has urged Khartoum and Juba to settle their differences on oil and border demarcation before an August 2 deadline set by the United Nations.

Decades of conflict between the mainly Arab and Muslim north and the black African south has left millions dead.

 

Date created : 2012-07-21

  • SUDAN

    Sudanese leaders in first talks since April clashes

    Read more

  • SOUTH SUDAN

    South Sudan marks first anniversary of independence

    Read more

  • SUDAN

    Khartoum braces for weekend protests

    Read more

COMMENT(S)