Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

LIFESTYLES

New road trip

Read more

LIFESTYLES

High-tech in France

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Global warming: A drowning planet

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Christian Kastrop, Director of Policy Studies, OECD

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy's political comeback: Did he ever leave?

Read more

ENCORE!

Weekly Music Show: Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's new album

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Revolt in New Caledonia and rebuilding homes in Libya

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

UK coalition split on 'English votes for English laws'

Read more

WEB NEWS

Ukraine: Activists launch 'Blood Bucket Challenge'

Read more

Middle east

Death toll rises as more quake victims uncovered

Video by Nicolas Rushworth

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-08-13

Iran has raised the death toll from Saturday’s devastating twin earthquakes in the village-strewn north of the country to 306 on Monday, after some 50 extra bodies were discovered. A search for survivors was called off Sunday.

AFP - Twin earthquakes that devastated rural villages in northwest Iran on the weekend killed a total of 306 people -- most of them women and children -- and injured 3,037, Health Minister Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi said on Monday.

The official toll, presented in a report to lawmakers and published on the parliament's website, was a big jump over the last one given on Sunday by Interior Minister Moustafa Mohammad-Najjar, who spoke of 227 dead and 1,380 injured.

Vahid Dastjerdi said that, of the 306 deaths, hospital morgues counted 219 women and children and 49 men. The discrepancy with the total appeared to come from the fact that some of those killed were buried by their families before officials arrived at the scene.

She also said that, of the 3,037 injured, most -- 2,011 -- were given first aid at the scene, while the remainder were taken to hospitals for treatment. Some 700 surgeries were performed, she said.

Two earthquakes measuring 6.4 and 6.3 on the moment magnitude scale rumbled through northwest Iran on Saturday, levelling mud brick and concrete homes in villages to the northeast of the city of Tabriz.

Authorities called off rescue operations on Sunday after saying all possible survivors had been recovered.

Vahid Dastjerdi said that "we are continuing the search for bodies."

Date created : 2012-08-13

  • IRAN

    Relief efforts underway following deadly Iran quakes

    Read more

  • IRAN

    Deadly quakes strike northwest Iran

    Read more

COMMENT(S)